Agentlaidlaw

Pie

50 XP

21st February 2005

0 Uploads

3,801 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

I found another 7800gtx v's 6800gt and ultras benchmarks. This time they used an average PC to show the speed..... http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1806.1/

Pethegreat VIP Member

Lord of the Peach

70 XP

19th April 2004

0 Uploads

20,892 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

By average do they man "average gaming PC" or average everyday PC? The average everday Pc has 2.8ghz processor and 1gb of ram.

t0m

.!?

50 XP

30th January 2004

0 Uploads

3,207 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago
Pethegreat™By average do they man "average gaming PC" or average everyday PC? The average everday Pc has 2.8ghz processor and 1gb of ram.

More like a 2.6 Ghz processor and 256/512 MB ram..

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

I wouldn't call the PC there using to be a "Average PC", with a Athlon 64 3500+, and a ASUS A8N SLI board thats getting to be high end if you ask me. Anyways, the SLI 6800's still whoop the single 7800GTX in those benchmarks, too bad they didn't have a 7800 SLI setup.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago
However there’s a discrepancy between the results we’ve seen with these two popular benchmarks and actual gameplay. As although SLI turns in impressive numbers here actual performance with games depends on whether a game has a profile in the NVIDIA drivers and gets an identical boost in performance as we’ve seen here. Performance could be as low as a single card, or well over the scores listed here, depending on the game.

Take note of that. They also didn't mention that the 7800GTX can now antialias transparent textures (which, incidentally, is part of that reason that nVIDIA has reclaimed the IQ title from ATI). With respect to whether or not that's a "normal" rig, if you're sitll running whatever box your put together in 2003, what're the chances that you'll be looking to drop $550 on a new videocard first? Of course, that raises a whole new question: if you run it on a 2.8E with 512MB of RAM... what do you learn about the card itself when you've got a bottleneck at the CPU or RAM? Most reviews serve to determine how a new piece of hardware compares to it's competition directly, which you cannot do without first removing everything else from the equation as much as possible.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 13 years ago

Yeah, its pretty stupid to bench a new card on a older CPU... If you want the more accurate results, then you have to use the FASTEST CPU you can find to get past any bottleneck issues... I think that a AMD 4000+ and up would be fine though. Also once u crank up the resolution you see that a single 7800 is nearly even or above dual 6800s. Ive seen this happen of other reviews.