The_Computer_Wizard

The Force is strong with him

50 XP

10th September 2006

0 Uploads

321 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

ok, im at work again, and im waiting for files to finish being copied to this persons computer so once again i find myself trying to kill time, and considering the last "rant" i did started up some good debates i think im gona go for it again.... worst thing that will happen is a admin will get pissed at my rants and ban me but oh well, freedom of speech right? anyway my rant today is about a problem we had here yesturday my co-worker went out on a service call because the woman said her computer wouldnt burn cds. so we sent this guy out and was like "its most likely shes using the wrong type of disks, either that or her burner went bad" knowing the customer then we said "if its anything different give us a call" so he went out there.... and the rest is kinda a mystery, like i think god was even looking down and said "wtf just happened" because somehow this companies entire set of quickbook information was GONE. all their payroll information, bills, checks made out, bank information... GONE. now i have no idea wtf happened, and if it was our guys fault or not, but all i can say to myself is "cd rom issue.... QUICKBOOKS! HOW THE F*** DOES THAT HAPPEN?!" (and we know it was working before we got there because he said he saw it up when he got there) and thats the entire reason its annoying me, my brain cant comprehend that leap... i mean it can make stuff up like "oh a sector on the hard drive containing the file went bad because little fuzzy men from mars came down and said out loud 'bomm shakalaka' and it deleted the file" but nothing really plausable because they didnt have a virus or anything and the computer is less than a year old (and everything tested fine when we brought it back to check it and recover data) well in the end i was able to restore a file from a few days ago, so they only ended up loosing about 2 days worth of information which they were ok with or how about this one that was annoying me, a computer comes in and no matter what you do blue screen of death. so finally after realizing it was doing it every time it accessed the hard drive i was like "WTF!! seatools said the hard drive was in perfect health" so i ran hard drive regenerator and let it run ALL NIGHT and after only processing 10 gigs of information on a 60 gig drive it found 790,000 some odd bad sectors (fortunatly i was able to fix about 700,000 which allowed me to recover most of his data) but im just like "HOW DOES SEATOOLS PASS THAT?!" well those are the wierd things that happened to me this week, just wondering what you guys thought of it :-P

N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Sometimes you're able to recover data, sometimes not. I've had my fair share [or prolly more] of this kind of situation. It must be hard explaining this to non-technologically-intelligent people, I feel your pain. But this is more of a gen discussion topic. Do you work in tech support?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Sorry, can't help or comment on Quickbooks, which is MAC accounting software right? Though I do feel a need to respond due to the irony I've been seeing lately concerning Apple's oft used selling points that MACs are less virus and error prone than PCs. First there's iTunes, which they insist on installing anytime you install Quicktime just to view a video stream that someone only has available in that format. Ever tried uninstalling iTunes? It's bloat really clogs up your registry and as a media tool it's really nothing special. Clearly they just try to force it on you to buy their crap 128kbps overpriced music on their music store. Then there's Bonjour, ever heard of it? It's a clever little software utility from Apple that installs without warning in software such as Adobe Premier Pro CS3 and Photoshop CS3. It connects to IP addresses for file sharing and is a real pain to try and uninstall. So many people were complaining about not being able to uninstall it that the maker of the program came out with a tool to disable it. That's right disable it, not uninstall it. You actually have to rename a file in it, reboot, then uninstall it after disabling it. I really find it odd Apple has such a smug attitude about their OS being safer when they come out with such suspect tools in partnering with other software manufacturers to try and further sell their music. Apparently they have an entirely different credo for media software than they do for OS software and somehow security and morality get thrown out the "window" in the process. "Bonjour?", to Apple I have this to say,... :band: "You say hello, and I say goodbye, .....goodbye, goodbye". Yeah, I know, it's paraphrased in reverse, but in this case it really fits.