Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

:D can have my babies!

Spammy thread I know, but I just helped a mate build a new i7 rig, and I'll be damned the 1200 is a sexy wicked case. So solid, cheap and nice cooling and features - such as fan control speeds stock standard and the ability to turn the LEDs on or off.

Size wise it's not big enough for my system but a nice case non the less (Mind you my Spedo isn't big enough either lol)

Its a bit weighty, but god I just love it so much lol, I wanna replace my spedo with it...if only it was big enough.

Cable management though I wasn't impressed with, the Spedo has MUCH better cable management - its much deeper behind the motherboard tray unlike the 1200.

Very quiet case to, no vibration coming from any of the fans, excellent paint job (even; which not a lot of steel cases seem to achieve)

But OMG lol

--EDIT-- :o I lied! It IS big enough! Wooo! It has as many HDD bays as I have in HDDs lol! No more bay adapters yay! I shall buy it!... After Christmas when Im rich again! YAY! OMG!

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 8 years ago

I bought an Antec case as well earlier this year. A simple one that came with a PSU and one fan, I'm quite content with it too. The only problem is that I cannot shut down the system from windows which is either due to the case/PSU or the motherboard.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago

LOL, not big enough, pfffft. That case fits the largest GPUs available and tons of HDDs. Anyone can see at first glance only the most demanding server rigs would not fit in it. You did however mention one of my main nit picks about it, being shallow cable storage. You really need to be careful what PSU you use in it and even then you have to tie the cables down well.

Not mentioned however is one of the other common complaints about that case. The filters are a pain to get at. As far as I know the faces of the HDD cages can be removed though. Perhaps it would be possible to come up with a way of making them so they snap on and off the cage and put little wire pulls on the front of them for handles.

This is still one of the most popular gaming cases though. It has more room and ventilation than even some of the new dogs that tout superior cooling like the Silverstone Raven RV02. There's a guy on the XtremeSystems forum that took his 2x SLI gear out of his 1200 and put it in an RV02, and it now runs noticeably warmer.

Antec cases are typically built like tanks. Funny how so many brands use military and/or ballistic names for their cases, yet none come close to the durability of Antec. You won't find cheap plastic color coded audio ports on Antec cases. Just one of the many little details they refuse to skimp on.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago
That case fits the largest GPUs available and tons of HDDs.

Actually I beg to differ. Put in the 4890 into the 1200, and it was back in the HDD bays - had to take a cage out to fit the power cables. Put the 4870 into the Spedo and you still have a good 4 or 5" before needing to worry about HDD bays. Those two cards are basically identical lengths...if im not mistaken the 4890 is slightly shorter...(?)

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#5 8 years ago

4890 is a little longer than the 4870, but if its a non-reference design it might be shorter.

The 1200 is pretty nice, I wouldn't mind one if they weren't so damn huge.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago

Don't know about that Pilla. I've seen pics of a 13.5" card in the 1200 with no problems.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#7 8 years ago

well these bays were certainly in the way by the time the power cables were connected. And I only said it was to small because I thought it only had 6 HDD bays, but then I read more.

If I upgrade from my Spedo to any case, I need at least 9 HDD bays for my HDDs. - 1200 does that for me :)

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#8 8 years ago

Well if I don't see anything better by the time I build my next rig, I may very well go with a 1200 too.