random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I updated BIOS forever ago and I'm again afraid of bricking my machine in the process. Can someone outline the steps? I probably need to do this as the BIOS makes some adjustments to the fan profile and such so that temperatures are kept down relatively noticeably.

Also I am having trouble finding the right files due to lack of proper model. The machine I have was marketed as GL502VS(-FY281T, Slovenian) but dxdiag.exe shows it as GL502VSK. Which is accurate?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

You need to follow the instructions for your motherboard exactly, so no point in outlining it as the procedure can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Some boards have bios updates from Windows, that is usually pretty simple. Some require you to create a bootable drive with the correct BIOS version - much easier to get that wrong. If it is just the fan speed you can probably live without the update. You should only touc that if you can recover from crash easily (dual bios) or if you really need the update (bug-fix, support for new CPU).

I bricked a motherboard last year, despite having done lots of Bios updates in the past and following the instructions - which, as it turned out, were wrong.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#3 1 year ago

"MrFancypants"You need to follow the instructions for your motherboard exactly, so no point in outlining it as the procedure can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Some boards have bios updates from Windows, that is usually pretty simple. Some require you to create a bootable drive with the correct BIOS version - much easier to get that wrong. If it is just the fan speed you can probably live without the update. You should only touc that if you can recover from crash easily (dual bios) or if you really need the update (bug-fix, support for new CPU).[/quote]

Well the update pretty much says optimize system performance, which is damn vague. I got that fan thing from a bit of googling, so it may just be a rumor. Still think it isn't worth it?

Also BIOS update is pretty much the only place where there is a worry of permanently FUBAR-ing hardware, right?

[quote="MrFancypants"]I bricked a motherboard last year, despite having done lots of Bios updates in the past and following the instructions - which, as it turned out, were wrong.

Can you elaborate? What all was wrong exactly?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#4 1 year ago

Not permanently, but it can be expensive to fix.

There was an issue with the description of USB ports that can be used for updating the bios from a flash drive. The update started, then the computer froze, at which point you know that you are screwed. Customer service was pretty nice though, they repaired the board free of charge despite being long out of warranty.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Still, what do you reckon optimize system performance means?

Also can I get a pro to do it in front of me and then pin it on them and make them pay for damages if they fuck up?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Sounds vague, could mean anything. You can try asking in an Asus forum.

Having someone else do it doesn't really change the situation - they can have bad luck same as you. If they mess up it will still be annoying to have it fixed.

Are we talking about that gaming laptop you wanted to buy btw? A brand-new machine with a 1070 and all? Just not worth the risk imho.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#7 1 year ago

Yes that very same one. I've bought it and I know there is always some hardware update or another that manufacturers miss.

I'm assuming warranty does not cover it since you would be tampering on your own and I would have to pay an unfair amount to Asus if I wanted them themselves to do it?

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,399 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#8 1 year ago

I wouldn't update a BIOS unless you absolutely had to, for example, compatibility with a new processor. 

That being said I had to do a BIOS update on a laptop for such a reason and it was easy to do, they make these things super user friendly these days.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Does that same go for any hardware related software like all the various drivers for GPU, speakers, etc.?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,838 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Drivers are not a big deal, updating your GPU drivers every once in a while is a good idea.