I pwn Dread.

50 XP

14th November 2007

0 Uploads

1,161 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

This is the GeForce GTX 280 from PC Gamer's August of 2008 issue:

PC GamerI(PC Gamer member) tested the GeForce GTX 280 (with 1GB of GDDR3 RAM using Vista only beta drivers provided by nVIDIA and was blown away by how close the SINGLE GPU GTX 280 came to matching the 3D Mark06 score of the dual-GPU 9800GX2 and Radeon 3870 X2 cards only BETA drivers and then it went on to stomp them in basically every other benchmark....

Btw: it got 34/15 FPS on Crysis so I vote the 280 GTX

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

3rd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

^ that is just a driver issue. The 4850 beats the 9800gtx in almost all other benchmarks...Who cares about Crysis...not even Crytek care about Crysis anymore. If the 4850 tops nvidia's top card atm...what do you think the 4870 will do...?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

It's almost a shoe-in that many will opt for the 4870 on price alone, esp considering the 280 costs $650. Don't be surprised if the 280 drops it's drawers on price come launch time for the 4870 though. I have to say I'm delighted that ATI is offering up some good old smack down comp again, despite my cussing them out numerous times for crap driver support in the past (stuttering in HL2, Doom3, FEAR, etc, with my X800XT) and ongoing dual display support issues. Fortunately the Omegas solve the latter for me. As for Crysis not being relevant benching anymore, that is actually true. Ironically however it's not due to CryTek not caring about Crysis anymore so much as their talk of Warhead being able to run on much lower spec with the same graphics quality using heavy optimizations to the current engine. They are now saying that optimization may end up benefiting Crysis 1 too, despite their just prior claim of no more patch support for it, which may have been a blunder and perhaps a statement forced by the ill knowing EA.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

The GTX 280 is a flop in my opinion, its hardly any faster than the 9800GX2 in most games. The new ATI cards are much more impressive. You can get two 4850's in Crossfire and have the same performance as the GTX 280 for $250 less than actually buying a GTX. Considering the 4850 is not even their high end card, the 4870, and especially the 4870X2 should have no problem topping the GTX 280.

The 4870X2 i think is going to be the card to have this time around, it should also cost less than the GTX 280 when its released.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
>Omen<;4399143It's almost a shoe-in that many will opt for the 4870 on price alone, esp considering the 280 costs $650. Don't be surprised if the 280 drops it's drawers on price come launch time for the 4870 though. I have to say I'm delighted that ATI is offering up some good old smack down comp again, despite my cussing them out numerous times for crap driver support in the past (stuttering in HL2, Doom3, FEAR, etc, with my X800XT) and ongoing dual display support issues. Fortunately the Omegas solve the latter for me.

123. Don't think I could've put it better myself.

The GTX280 is the better card, by the numbers. It is, simply, faster and better in almost every instance than the HD4870 promises to be.

Unfortunately, we're not talking about a 200% (or greater) boost in performance. But we are talking about a likely 200% price premium; all signs look to ATI gunning for the $300 price point with the HD4870, which is itself a card that will probably trade blows admirably with NVIDIA's $400 part, the GTX260.

In other words, it looks like ATI hit a massive walk-off home run for this round, because there are a lot of people out there who are going to eat up the marketing bit about "75% of the performance for 45% of the price". With ATI's massive push to support Linux (both proprietary and FOSS) drivers, I'm probably going to wind up being one of them.

Final opinion will be in on Thursday (the HD4870 is expected to at least see a paper launch on Wednesday), but given the performance of the HD4850, I think NVIDIA (finally!) has cause to be worried.

Damn... it's just like the good old days.

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago
Apollo75;4399209The GTX 280 is a flop in my opinion, its hardly any faster than the 9800GX2 in most games. The new ATI cards are much more impressive. You can get two 4850's in Crossfire and have the same performance as the GTX 280 for $250 less than actually buying a GTX.

Not be be argumentative, but let's not forget you'd need a Crossfire board to do this, so the price difference may not be as simple as that (nor the choice as easy) for many buyers. Just thought I'd point that out.

On a side note, I think they are pumping out new generations of cards way too fast these days with little benefit nor compelling reason to buy the new one. It's almost as if EA is in control of this, it's much like their business model for their sports franchises: Release a new version every year that's the same as last year with minor refinements yet ask us for a "new game" price-tag.

Guess I'll be sticking to my 8800GT for awhile until something spectacular comes out that justifies the purchase. I'm none too impressed by either side... again. Perhaps next round we'll see some major performance jumps like there were back in the old days. I'm not holding my breath though.

I am happy that ATI seems to be back in the game though. Healthy competition is always a good thing for the consumer.

&gt;Omen&lt;

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago
C38368;4399299Damn... it's just like the good old days.

Or perhaps DAMMIT's a new dog up to old tricks. LOL I'm guessing a lot of 4850 customers are going to find they'll run even better when a utility like ATI Tool is used to give them more appropriate GPU fan speed settings. Every review I read on them says they're very quiet (even at load) but very hot. This causes many to speculate (including myself) that it needs better GPU fan speed settings. If this is the case, it would also mean they have some headroom for OCing and OMG, what if an aftermarket cooler is used. THESE are the kind of reviews I want to read. Some reports said it had limited OCing potential due to the heat, yet I saw not one dang reviewer actually check the stock GPU fan thresholds. XtreamSystems has a thread showing a volt mod on a 4850. [COLOR=blue]http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3057333[/COLOR]

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

ATI win this one, the 280GTX fails...and fails hard, equal performance to an already existing card...no excuse for it

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago
>Omen< Every review I read on them says they're very quiet (even at load) but very hot. This causes many to speculate (including myself) that it needs better GPU fan speed settings.

Thats exactly what it is. The HD 3850/3870's are the same way, the default fan speed settings are rediculousy low. For example, the fan on my 3850 is set to only run at 50% when the GPU hits 70C, 80% when the GPU hits 85C, and for the fan to run at 100%, it would have to hit 98C.... I use Rivatuner and set the fan at 80%. It keeps it pretty cool, and doesn't make too much noise either.