LaughingCheese

Behold the Power of CHEESE!!!

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Notebook check lists the mobility Radeon HD 2600 as a class 2; I'm not sure what the classes mean, but it looks like it should be able to play some current games and definitely older ones.

My questions are:

1. What do you think of this card; will it run C&C3, BF2/BF2142, Halo, Half Life, etc?
  2. What do you think of Notebookcheck.com?

I'm asking because newegg is selling an MSI notebook for $699.99: Newegg.com - MSI GX710-230A NoteBook AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-62(2.10GHz) 17.0" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 - Laptops / Notebooks

Thanks

LC

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Looks like a decent notebook. What games do you want to play on it? And I've never heard of notebookcheck.com

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
kow_ciller;4748880Looks like a decent notebook. What games do you want to play on it? And I've never heard of notebookcheck.com

Guess you missed my edit lol. :p

C&C3/C&C3:KW, BF2/BF2142, Halo.

Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Notebookcheck is usually pretty reliable, besides the occasional page or review full of broken English - it's a German site after all. The figures should speak for themselves though.

As for the 2600, it looks like a fairly respectable card, roughly equivelant to a GeForce 8600. Based on that you should have no problems with those games - you might have to turn down the antialiasing slightly though, mid-range cards don't usually take to it very well. Doom3 on Ultra settings at 16xAA on my laptop's 9500 (which, thanks to the nVidia rebranding is basically identical to an 8600, putting it on the playing field with your Radeon) runs like a slideshow, however turn it down a few notches to 4xAA or 2xAA, and even with everything else set to Ultra it runs as smooth as butter. Same with Bioshock, CMR: Dirt, Left 4 Dead and all the other games I've tried so far.

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Rookie;4748948Notebookcheck is usually pretty reliable, besides the occasional page or review full of broken English - it's a German site after all. The figures should speak for themselves though.

As for the 2600, it looks like a fairly respectable card, roughly equivelant to a GeForce 8600. Based on that you should have no problems with those games - you might have to turn down the antialiasing slightly though, mid-range cards don't usually take to it very well. Doom3 on Ultra settings at 16xAA on my laptop's 9500 (which, thanks to the nVidia rebranding is basically identical to an 8600, putting it on the playing field with your Radeon) runs like a slideshow, however turn it down a few notches to 4xAA or 2xAA, and even with everything else set to Ultra it runs as smooth as butter. Same with Bioshock, CMR: Dirt, Left 4 and all the other games I've tried so far.

Coolness, thanks!

The only thing I don't like about that card is that a friend of mine has a Toshiba with a Radeon 3470, which means he'll still have a better card lol, just some friendly one-ups-manship I guess.

The other thing I could do is wait for Office Depot to get restocked, which is where both of my friends got their laptops from.