Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,766 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,399 Posts

2 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So, my computer has been giving me a drive error. Yesterday, it said Bootmgr does not exist.

Those rumours about Microsoft bricking computers that stayed on Windows 7, seems it was true after all.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,813 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

I doubt that they would brick a PC. But it is possible that the shennanigans with the Win10 upgrade pre-installation messed things up. Missing boot manager probably means that your installation or something about the partitions got corrupted. Maybe it is possible to restore to an earlier point using a bootable windows cd. Easiest solution is most likely a fresh install after repartitioning.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 1 year ago

I think that may be a bit of a rushed conclusion. As Fancy said, it sounds like a file corruption. How old is your harddrive?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,766 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,399 Posts

2 Threads

#4 1 year ago

My computer is from 2010.

And my Windows 7 disk was stolen shortly thereafter. At this point, maybe I have no choice but to look into getting a new machine with Windows 10.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,986 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#5 1 year ago

That would be a very extreme reaction.

Microsoft will allow you to download Windows 7 ISOs still. Download one, burn to cd or bootable USB, then get into the recovery options on startup and try doing startup repair.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

The download will automatically guide you into making either a DVD or bootable USB.

i can guarantee you now that Microsoft hasn't intebtionally skittled your boot manager though. It may be a disk on the way out, malware, some bad software you installed, or another OS if you dual boot doing a bad thing.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

240,766 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,399 Posts

2 Threads

#6 1 year ago

The problems started when Windows Update gave me an Intel driver that broke everything.

Everything was perfectly good before that. That is what leads me to wonder if Microsoft did this.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#7 1 year ago

These updates are vetted by professionals, not to mention it would be illegal for them to do that. Of entirely different note is that Intel has nothing to do with Microsoft. 

Correlation =/= causation. It's most likely that your drive, which is fairly old, has just reached the end of its lifecycle and is degrading.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,986 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Intel is responsible for intel drivers, not MS. But with billions of PCs out there, sadly, these things can and always will happen.

It's genuinely ludicrous to suggest MA did this intentionally.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,200 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,111 Posts

1,329 Threads

#9 1 year ago

"FileTrekker"Intel is responsible for intel drivers, not MS. But with billions of PCs out there, sadly, these things can and always will happen.

It's genuinely ludicrous to suggest MA did this intentionally.

I doubt they did it intentionally but Microsoft does push vendor drivers through windows update so it's entirely possible he got an intel driver update via windows update

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,716 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Well, I broke my W10 installation with a GPU update. And before that, W10 was acting up a bit (start menu one day broke, then fixed itself with the next update). And with Microsoft's QA team gone, everything they push out is prone to be a bit more buggy than usual. Microsoft isn't intentionally breaking users' PC's, but that doesn't mean its software can't break itself, especially if an update goes wrong.