I've had my current PC for about 5- maybe 10 years (I'm bad at estimating) and for the longest time it has given me alot of grief over a lot of things. So which is the better choice, buy a new computer or keep the one I have and keep throwing life support, i mean upgrades at it?
Uh, well... What are your specs now?
Though if it really is as old as you say its probably beyond hope for upgrades.
I forget, we got it a 9600 gt about a year ago, 2 gigs of ram, amd athlon 64x dual core processor4000+ 2.11GHz and thats all I know.
9th September 2007
Definitely buy a new system. Those are good parts, but they're not really good for current-gen games.
"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.
Under no circumstances should you consider getting a whole new computer and throwing the current one away. It's a waste.
First you need to decide what you want in your new computer, and what you can recycle. Ram, CD-Roms, Hard Drives can probably all stay. Depending on what processor you would like to upgrade to, you need to check if your motherboard supports it. If not, buy a new one. That being said, if you really do have a ten year old computer (which I doubt if you stuck a dual core processor in there) your case will probably not be the right size and orientation for your new motherboard so that will have to be replaced.
Again, you have to know what you want for anyone to be able to tell you if it makes sense to do it. Your 9600 still has some life in it, but maybe you aspire for something better. It obviously doesn't make sense to get a new GPU if it won't be far superior to your not-yet-outdated one.
You should keep your old system, even if as a storage server. It's what we've done with our old computer, except it's not as effective since big IDE hard drives are a lot more expensive than SATA ones so we never got round to adding any new HDDs in. But other than that, I doubt your old system would have any relevance to a new build. Maybe your optical drive can move into the new computer, and possibly the HDDs as well, if they're SATA, but probably nothing else.
What would your budget be for a new build?
Upgrade to a triple/quad, and keep the 9600gt, and just get a second one.
Download CPU-Z and tell us whether that X2 4000+ is socket AM2 or not. If it is you may still have hope depending on your mono. If it happen for some reason to be the old ass 939 version your pretty much SOL.
I'd say buy a new system. I'd personally recommend a 1156 (i5/i7 860) one.