random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So I picked a from a few laptops the ones that would be candidates for purchase and I would like to know if you have any particularly strong reasons for objecting to my choice ( e.g., if I am wrong about something and it's very bad) and veering away towards one of the other choices mentioned. I've posted reviews below in order of preference along with some reasons for such preference, so that you may compare and contrast my reasons with those in the review.

The specs may diverge in the review but you should know that all of them basically feature an i7, GTX1070, 16 GB RAM and an SSD.

My criteria for judgement (spoilered since you may have read or remember them from before):

Spoiler: Show

Task being used for: Primary - gaming. Secondary - programming/engineering/CAD applications.

Portability: Preferred to be portable but may be able to leave it on desk more often unless required.

Playing games (which): Yes. Latest AAA releases.

Battery: Preferred user removable/replaceable and most efficient/long-lasting/lifetime battery possible (secondary to specs for gaming) in case of use away from desk.

Expected Lifetime of Laptop: Don't know. Not a frequent buyer. Will use it till it dies but more probably once every AAA release  becomes completely unplayable even at lowest settings. Happened to be ~5-6 years for my current machine.

User-Serviceable: Yes. An important part of me using the machine forever means that I should be able to replace the thermal paste if needed and clean dust from the fans, among other things.

Keyboard: Standard English Qwerty Keyboard with all the keys being present and well sized.

Accessories: Mouse should go on the right hand side.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-Strix-GL502VS-Notebook-Review.171567.0.html

Portable is a huge plus. Good thing if a laptop can be a laptop and I did not see much difference compared to the others in performance and especially fears of temperatures being higher due to less space. Also seems slightly user-serviceable (you can open it up to see the motherboard with CPU, GPU, fans and everything)

https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Omen-17-i7-6700HQ-GTX-1070-Notebook-Review.181824.0.html

Possibly user-serviceable but may have crude make.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Strix-GL702VS-7700HQ-FHD-GTX-1070-Xotic-PC-Edition-Notebook-Review.207150.0.html

Definitely user-serviceable according to review but also has issues with throttling and temperatures.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-ROG-G752VS-Notebook-Review.171608.0.html

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-17-G9-793-Notebook-Review.173668.0.html

Commenting on the above two together since they are pretty much the same. Sturdy and big fucking laptops (4+ Kg). They have a CD drive so that is sort of a plus. Otherwise, I need to get an external one for the other ones. But its not enough to warrant being further up in the list. That and they require complete disassembly to service. The Asus is above because it performs better but it also has a weird design which does not allow it to fit into standard bags.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y910.176554.0.html

Not sold on this. Put this in the list just because I was making a list. It has 64 GB RAM but has no other discernible advantage over the others, is a big fucking laptop and does not really seem worth the 3000 Euros it costs.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

With that hardware you will have a good laptop in any case, just fine-tuning now.

In my opinion you should look at screen size and workmanship. I know both HP and Asus make high quality laptops, not so sure about Acer. Personally I'd got for 15 inch plus external monitor. 17 inch laptops are not all that mobile, 13 inch is a little small for serious mobile work. 15 is the sweet spot, it will still fit on tables when you're on the plane/train and you can carry it in a backpack without too much hassle. I have used a 15 inch Dell ultrabook for the last 2-3 years, it was great.

For work/gaming at home it is still better to have a larger screen or even TV. With a laptop screen there is a tendency to hunch over the keyboard/screen.

Serviceability is not so important for laptops in my opinion. Nice bonus, but usually you won't have to do much more than clean the fans within the practical lifetime of a gaming laptop.

So I'd pick the first one out of your selection.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#3 1 year ago

"MrFancypants"With that hardware you will have a good laptop in any case, just fine-tuning now.

In my opinion you should look at screen size and workmanship. I know both HP and Asus make high quality laptops, not so sure about Acer. Personally I'd got for 15 inch plus external monitor. 17 inch laptops are not all that mobile, 13 inch is a little small for serious mobile work. 15 is the sweet spot, it will still fit on tables when you're on the plane/train and you can carry it in a backpack without too much hassle. I have used a 15 inch Dell ultrabook for the last 2-3 years, it was great.

For work/gaming at home it is still better to have a larger screen or even TV. With a laptop screen there is a tendency to hunch over the keyboard/screen.

Serviceability is not so important for laptops in my opinion. Nice bonus, but usually you won't have to do much more than clean the fans within the practical lifetime of a gaming laptop.

So I'd pick the first one out of your selection.

Thanks Fancy. You're pretty good.

I'd definitely build a desktop, let alone a getting a bigger/external screen. Thing is I'm basically abroad for studies and I might also have to do a lot of traveling in the future so it might better to just be lighter on things to lug around and keep track of. Besides looking at my current 17" and my family's 15" right now it doesn't seem particularly different.

Serviceability is pretty much in case the supplied laptop has crappy thermal past from the factory or something like that. I guess I could send it for warranty but international warranty usually covers less than national warranty which I assume is the actual lifetime of the laptop.

Anyway, I just wanted to confirm this directly; Are my assumptions right, when comparing the reviews, that the performance of the 15" laptop on top is practically the same as the others and may also provide user-serviceability?

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,478 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 1 year ago
"MrFancypants"I know both HP and Asus make high quality laptops, not so sure about Acer.

I have an Acer model that I use for school and mobile work, and I can say it's served me well so far.  I didn't care for their desktop monitors, but I can't complain about their laptops.  Just remembered I've also been using their netbooks for a while and they too are a good buy.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#5 1 year ago

So I think I made a mistake just like before. I wasn't quite thorough in noting some details and it seems that GL702VS is 2.9 Kg vs the GL502VS's 2.6 Kg. That would put it at the second lightest model out of the entire list BUT it also has, I think, the best processor, the i7-7700HQ and, I think, it should definitely be better than the i7-6700HQ in the GL502VS.

Thing is I don't know how much of a difference of 300 g would feel like. Nor do I have an actual idea of how different the processors performance would be. Do you guys think you could offer a qualitative/quantitative/whatever comparions?

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,725 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#6 1 year ago

The Acer laptop displays, at least for the cheaper laptops, can be of pretty poor quality - I've seen them get a lot of complaints about being blurry, washed out, and poorly designed in general. But  then again, I haven't seem other companies offer lower-end laptops with such good spec/price ratios so it may not be an issue with more expensive Acer laptops. For me, the size of the laptop screen (and laptop in general) depends on a few factors. If it's just gonna sit on your desk except when you travel/go to your office and you don't care about a brick sitting in your backpack (tbh, with the weight of the power brick for these gaming laptops, the size of the laptop won't make that much difference in overall weight), then go with the larger screen. If you're using the laptop often in cars, airplanes, and during class, then you definitely want something smaller. Have you ever tried to take notes in a cramped lecture hall on a 17 inch laptop? I have, and it's pretty cramped.

Another thing to consider is the loudness of the keyboard. Clacking away at double-tap mechanical keys in an office with other people or a lecture hall is sort of a no-no.

I have a feeling that once you are settled in, you'll go for an external monitor, especially if you have  funding by your university. They are universal enough nowadays that you can just grab one used if you're pinched for cash. Even if you're gonna dump it in a year or two when you move on, I think you'll still find it a worthwhile investment.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#7 1 year ago

"Superfluous Curmudgeon "The Acer laptop displays, at least for the cheaper laptops, can be of pretty poor quality - I've seen them get a lot of complaints about being blurry, washed out, and poorly designed in general. But  then again, I haven't seem other companies offer lower-end laptops with such good spec/price ratios so it may not be an issue with more expensive Acer laptops. For me, the size of the laptop screen (and laptop in general) depends on a few factors. If it's just gonna sit on your desk except when you travel/go to your office and you don't care about a brick sitting in your backpack (tbh, with the weight of the power brick for these gaming laptops, the size of the laptop won't make that much difference in overall weight), then go with the larger screen. If you're using the laptop often in cars, airplanes, and during class, then you definitely want something smaller. Have you ever tried to take notes in a cramped lecture hall on a 17 inch laptop? I have, and it's pretty cramped.

Another thing to consider is the loudness of the keyboard. Clacking away at double-tap mechanical keys in an office with other people or a lecture hall is sort of a no-no.

I have a feeling that once you are settled in, you'll go for an external monitor, especially if you have  funding by your university. They are universal enough nowadays that you can just grab one used if you're pinched for cash. Even if you're gonna dump it in a year or two when you move on, I think you'll still find it a worthwhile investment.

I think I'd still make handwritten notes in class. I'm not particularly fast at typing and I don't even know how I'd do diagrams. Besides this laptop isn't a special back-to-school version with all the handy-dandy software for doing that.

If there is no way to mitigate any of that, I think I would carry it around mostly for doing work if there is time in between classes but not enough to go back to my residence.

Also, I do have funding but currently it is not sufficient to leave me with excess to splurge a little. Besides, why would I get an external monitor unless it's resolution is over 1080p? All these laptops offer that at max so I'd probably go for something that could do at least like 2K if not 4K. I haven't researched into that so I have to ask, aren't they expensive? If so, wouldn't that still be problematic when buying second hand?

Now a few other points I should bring up that I got from discussing elsewhere, in case anyone has any info on it, the people over there said that the GL502VS (15") is the one with heating and possibly throttling issues as opposed to the GL702VS (17"), both made by Asus. The reviews I have linked say the reverse, however. Anyone have any advice on that?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Generally, the smaller and lighter a laptop is the more likely you are to have heat issues. As for the difference between the two Asus Strix models - the 7700HQ CPU is the latest generation and slightly faster with the same heat generation compared to the 6700, which may translate into a couple more FPS in games. However, the 702 seems to come with a HDD instead of a SSD. In my opinon that is a no-go. Maybe there are versions that let you upgrade to SSD though.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Actually that's just the specs listed in the review without an SSD. The retail laptop listed has a 256 GB M.2 SSD.

I still need to know about the heat and throttling issue. I mean obviously the smaller one would be expected to be worse in this regard. But then there are two claims being made. The people at Notebookreview saying the 15" has issues and the review saying the 17" has issues. Which one should I believe?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,815 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Notebookcheck is a pretty good site, so I'd trust them. Chances are that most of the laptops in your list are going to have heat issues to some degree as they are all powerful and relatively light.