Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So it's looking like now is one of the worst times to buy/build a new PC. There is apparently a global shortage on GPUs and RAM, and so their respective prices are sky-high. On the GPU market, a crypto-currency (ethereum) has really taken off over the past few months, causing the demand for specific GPUs to skyrocket. On the RAM market, demand has been higher than supply due to a number of factors. It looks like prices have stabilized over the past few months, but average DDR4 memory cost is still something like 30% up from what it was this time last year.

I'm looking at buying or putting together a desktop PC for work. If prices aren't going to fall any time soon, I'll just  purchase one now. But if there's a good chance that prices will go down in the next few months, I may be able to wait it out. One possibility may also be to go for a simpler build now then to upgrade next year when prices go down again (assuming they do). Thoughts/recommendations?

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#2 1 year ago

I've seen this trend at my local stores.  They actually put up signs saying limit 2 per customer on all video cards.  It's been a while since I've done anything to my PC, but I know it's been rough-going for me in terms of getting shiny parts that make games shinier and I'm not sure if it's going to get any better.  To be honest, I think the best thing to do is find a sort-of middle-of-the-road build.  I, for instance, have only 8 gigs of ram, a GTX 760, and a Haswell chip and I can run most games I own at high settings and above.  The only games I've really had any trouble with are Batman: Arkham Knight and The Wither 3.  However, I've seen good prices for 1000 series nVidia cards so with one of those plus decent other components you should be good to go.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,014 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Pretty sure this is temporary and fueled by recent media hype of cryptocurrencies. There have been similar events in the past due ot natural disasters messing with prodcution. I'm guessing 3-6 months before prices go back to their normal levels.

Ethereum has lost a lot of value today - you might even be able to pick up some cheap used GPUs if its value keeps dropping.

Lysdestic VIP Member

Dr. Professor Logic, PhD.

45,041 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,263 Posts

93 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I was speccing out a build for someone yesterday and was astounded to see that the 1060 I just bought had nearly doubled in price. At least now I know why.

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

1060s, 1070s, and the whole high end AMD lineup. Some of the AMD cards have more than tripled in price from the original RSP.

"Lysdestic"I was speccing out a build for someone yesterday and was astounded to see that the 1060 I just bought had nearly doubled in price. At least now I know why.

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#6 10 months ago

Wow, prices are just about spiraling out of control now. 1080 - $1200+. 1070 - $1000+. 1070 Ti a tad bit cheaper at $850+ but I expect that's due to slightly higher supply. 1060 - $400+. 1050 Ti hasn't jumped much - $210+. Vega 56 - $1000+. Vega 64 - $1200+.

Seems to be due to miners willing to limited supply and unlimited demand regardless of cost. So everyone's running out of stock. Manufacturers are probably making a killing...

Anyways, I am tempted to put my 970 up for acution since its used price has gone up a good deal recently as well. I'm seeing used  cards go for up to $250. I purchased my card new for about $300 2-ish years ago. This decision would rely on me giving up gaming until the next big release occurs. I'm not sure when that will be though, as there doesn't seem to be any recent news indicating a mid-level card launch for either AMD or Nvidia. They've both had pretty recent card releases, so it's  doubtful that either company will make a gamer card release in the near future. Maybe late 2018 at the earliest? Maybe at least a card refresh to bring prices down?

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#7 10 months ago

Hmm, I've been considering some light upgrades and maybe sticking a watercooling setup together. Looks like it might be an idea to hold off on that for a while :/