MoonJelly

ACID

50 XP

21st January 2005

0 Uploads

198 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

My new setup will be a ASUS P5N32-E SLI Mobo, but I don't know which CPU to go with. It's either going to be:

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail

or..

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Both CPU's are $275. I just want the one that is going to have more stability and will function today's newest games properly on high settings (I plan on starting with one nVidia 8800 series 512MB 256-bit card).

gravy666

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

20th August 2007

0 Uploads

7,561 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

I'm not to familiar with this stuff, but I would get the Quad Core. Seriously, Dual Core vs. Quad Core, and they both cost the same price? You'd be out of your mind to get the Dual Core. Plus, you wanna play Crysis on really high settings, right?

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I'd go for the E8400 personally. Cheaper and faster than the E6850, and even though it's not a quad core processor I think its more than powerful enough to last for quite some time.

gravy666

50 XP

20th August 2007

0 Uploads

7,561 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

True, Duo Cores do work pretty damn fine. It has a huge advantage over a single core CPU. My computer, compared to my old one (5 years, still with a slave drive), can run games like Battlefield 2 on the highest settings, with background programs running. Plus, I've been getting some better graphical effects, too- whenever I play something like Star Wars Battlefront 2, I'm blinded with light bloom. Plus, you're gonna get an 8800, so you will get even better performance than I have. Yes, a Dual Core will last a long time. I'm guessing that a Quad Core is more of the same, but even better, if that makes sense. Hmm, playing "today's newest games properly on high settings" is a little over the top for what you're probably gonna have. Unless you're gonna mix a 7-series with that 8800, or even two 8800s, plus the Quad Core for either, forget about the highest settings part. I just said get the Quad Core because it's a Quad Core, and it costs the same price. Really, I barely know anything about CPUs besides that Duo Cores and Quad Cores are badass.

gravy666

50 XP

20th August 2007

0 Uploads

7,561 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

True, Duo Cores do work pretty damn fine. It has a huge advantage over a single core CPU. My computer, compared to my old one (5 years, still with a slave drive), can run games like Battlefield 2 on the highest settings, with background programs running. Plus, I've been getting some better graphical effects, too- whenever I play something like Star Wars Battlefront 2, I'm blinded with light bloom. Plus, you're gonna get an 8800, so you will get even better performance than I have. Yes, a Dual Core will last a long time. I'm guessing that a Quad Core is more of the same, but even better, if that makes sense. Hmm, playing "today's newest games properly on high settings" is a little over the top for what you're probably gonna have. Unless you're gonna mix a 7-series with that 8800, or even two 8800s, plus the Quad Core for either, forget about the highest settings part. I just said get the Quad Core because it's a Quad Core, and it costs the same price. Really, I barely know anything about CPUs besides that Duo Cores and Quad Cores are badass.

Metall_pingwin

Call me Pingwin

50 XP

26th May 2005

0 Uploads

7,238 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
gravy666;4211623 Unless you're gonna mix a 7-series with that 8800, or even two 8800s, plus the Quad Core for either, forget about the highest settings part.

I beg to differ. For one, you can't mix (SLI) different cards with each other, they need to be the exact same kind. Second of all, that is a gross overstatement. I have a 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo and 8800GT 512mb with 4Gigabytes of ram, and aside from crisis, there is not one game I can't run on the highest settings. Naturally, It gives out on the higher FSAA settings, but with the resolution I play on (1280:1024), 4xAA is all I will ever need.

Your purchase should depend on how long you plan to keep this computer. By current standards, a Dual Core processor is both necessary, and the best solution. The reason is that a lot of games today are still not completely optimized for dual processor use, however this will be changing as more and more games have Core 2 Duos in the recommended specs. A Quad Core right now is a waste of money, as it's full potential will not be realized on any applications. If you want to stick with the current computer for the next four years or so, it's safer to buy a Quad Core, however if you're looking at an upgrade in about two, a quality Dual Core will be a better solution.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

What pingwin said, for the most part. On a slightly pedantic note, Core 2 Duo is the name of Intel's product whereas dual core is an umbrella term for Pentium Ds, Core Duos, Core 2 Duos, Athlon X2s and whatever else. Duo Core doesn't mean anything.

(Hey, I warned you it was pedantic...)

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 10 years ago

i think the 3.0ghz dual would out-perform the quad, but thats me, im kinda a noob.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#9 10 years ago

A faster dual core should run individual programs better, however a quad core allows for multi tasking. For instance, in some mid-level games(source based games for instance) I can run both a small server and the game itself on my quad core, and I can download stuff, run music, and do whatever else as well. Plus it should last me quite awhile.

I'm happy with the quad core personally, and I would recommend it.

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

When it comes to gaming, a quad core CPU is not going to make a difference, as most games available today are not designed to use all four cores. A faster clocked dual core CPU with similar architecture will outrun a slower clocked quad core in almost all instances (again, when it comes to gaming). That said, a quad core will smoke a dual core when it comes to tasks such as rendering and encoding. Microsoft Office, 3DS Max, WinRAR are all examples of applications that wil benefit from a quad core CPU.

Bs|Archaon;4211541I'd go for the E8400 personally. Cheaper and faster than the E6850...

Absolutely. Not to mention lower TDP (not that it is a huge difference though). If gaming is the primary intent of your PC, I would also recommend the E8400. The cheapest I have found it is at onsale.com for $191.99.