Corsair PSU Problems - help! 3 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,302 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Right, so basically, yesterday my PSU suddenly starting making an horrific grinding noise. I wasn't doing anything to put the PC under load, and I tested every other fan by stopping it, leaving only the PSU fan as the possible culprit.

It sounded like the PSU had thrown a bearing. The PSU isn't very old, May 2015, but it is out of warranty at this point.

I turned the PC off, did a clean of dust etc. from the PSU and other parts of the PC, and since then it's been absolutely fine.

The problem is that I did some reading on my PSU model, which is a Corsair CX600M, and read about a lot of PSU's from this series doing the same thing.

I feel like I should replace this next month (I'd do it now, but I am skint) - but I don't know what brand to buy or what PSU to buy anymore. I want something around the 600w range (which should see me comfortably for my next planned upgrade of a GTX 1070) - but I don't know what model or brand anymore. I thought these Corsair PSU's were supposed to be good, but apparently not.

Any advice?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,012 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

A worn out bearing should produce a relatively constant grinding noise that keeps getting worse. If it is ok now then maybe something (cables?) got pulled into the fan.

Anyway, the company BeQuiet makes very good PSUs. Not sure how available they are internationally, but the last time I checked their PSUs got best grades. They offer several product lines, I bought two of the pricier models a couple of years ago and they have been reliable and very quiet.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Aye, sounds like a minor obstruction.  IME, CX600Ms are very mainstream and honestly I think there are far too many in production.  Not a bad little PSU, but there are far better ones.  I've never had a problem with SilverStone.

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,302 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Well, update, it hasn't gone on a massive wobble yet.

It's made the noise very briefly one or two times then stopped.

Might just swap it out anyway next month, when I have cash, better safe than sorry.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com