RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So I wasn't happy with just having my HOTAS setting on my desk like some sort of casual peasant.

As a quick fix a few months ago I just got some drawer rollers and made to slid out platforms on my desk to set them on. This worked alright but it had many issues and I wasn't a big fan of it.

Xj76P7P.jpg

I've always wanted some MonsterTech HOTAS Stands but they are $96 a piece and for a full set + shipping to the US it's $242.27 so there isn't any way that's gonna happen.

I decided to make my own and do it a hell of a lot cheaper. For around $60 in parts (I'm only in it about $45 since I already had the wood, screws, tools, etc... I only really had to buy the clamps and some specific metal bits) you can build this beauty.

c5TaWWy.jpgcAOxcrd.jpgJ5svfTT.jpgSetting Position dkHaL84.jpgStanding Position 31Mtowt.jpg

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,338 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#2 2 years ago

This looks awesome - have you also got it set up so that you can turn your head to see the menus?!

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 2 years ago

That is some nice work right there. How the heck are they attached to the desk, though?

"Mikey"This looks awesome - have you also got it set up so that you can turn your head to see the menus?!

I'm fairly certain RAL is capable of turning his head, yes.

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"Mikey"This looks awesome - have you also got it set up so that you can turn your head to see the menus?![/quote] I have a Track IR 5 so I can look around in game without an issue.

"Serio"That is some nice work right there. How the heck are they attached to the desk, though?[/quote] I thought the pictures were pretty self expiatory but you use the clamp to clamp them to the desk.

[quote="Serio"][quote="Mikey"]This looks awesome - have you also got it set up so that you can turn your head to see the menus?!

I'm fairly certain RAL is capable of turning his head, yes.

I tried turning my head once and almost broke my neck.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,336 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Nice work! How does it feel to have the controls offset to the side of your chair like that?

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#6 2 years ago
"Nemmerle"Nice work! How does it feel to have the controls offset to the side of your chair like that?

That's just a trick of perspective, they are right in line with the arm rests.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,396 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Very nice indeed.

Question though: do you find these get in the way when you're working on other things and need to move in closer to the desk?

Also it'd be cool if the wood could be painted / varnished to the same color as the desk, but that's my OCD talking.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#8 2 years ago

"FileTrekker" Question though: do you find these get in the way when you're working on other things and need to move in closer to the desk?[/quote] I feel you've failed to grasp the concept of how these work.

[quote="FileTrekker"]Also it'd be cool if the wood could be painted / varnished to the same color as the desk, but that's my OCD talking.

I plan to stain them when I stop being lazy.

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#9 2 years ago

I've made some minor improvements to the setup.

I went and got some sticky backed foam from a hobby shop to better protect my desk surface.

I also got some cable clamps to keep the USB cables tucked away nicely and I hot glued a powered USB 3.0 hub below my desk so I can now plug in the HOTAS without cables going all over the place.

I'll try to get some pictures of the setup tmrw.

Jeff is a mean boss

565,239 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#10 2 years ago

IakzXJb.jpgNje85cp.jpgAdcWDsK.jpg

Coming along nicely.