DDoS attack reaches 1 Terrabits per second... 6 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,319 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Which, by the way, is a new world record.

http://hothardware.com/news/latest-iot-ddos-attack-dwarfs-krebs-takedown-at-nearly-1-terabyte-per-second  

The attack involved over 150,000 poorly configured IoT devices, smart fridges and things of that nature. It set the new world reccord for a DDoS attack, reaching just shy of 1Tbps, at 990Gbps.

And to think this massive DDoS campaign was directed at Minecraft servers that OHV was hosting. The DDoS attack witnessed by KrebsOnSecurity peaked at 620 Gbps, and was destructive enough to cause Brian Krebs’ hosting company, Akamai, to drop him with only two hours’ notice. Krebs is thought to have been attacked due to his part in taking down the Israeli firm vDOS, which profits from initiating DDoS attacks on websites.

And the danger of IoT devices becomes ever more apparent;

Simple, often with exploitable open-source software such as Android or Linux, which are often fairly cheap and seldom updated, connected to the internet and completely devoid of any real security. Why a refrigerator or doorbell needs full, unimpeded access to the world wide web is fucking bewildering to me, but we seem to be rather childishly stepping into putting a full-blown internet connection onto anything and everything these days - often without much forethought to the potential consequences.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,319 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,365 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,147 Posts

5 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Internet of unsecured botnet components ¬_¬

Likewise, why this can't just be a local network beggars belief to me. Internet connected fucking toasters? Urg. You're doing it wrong.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,593 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#4 2 years ago

I don't know about you, but I can't LIVE without my internet-connected bottle opener :o

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#5 2 years ago

I don't even understand why things have to connect to the internet. A simple network connection should be enough. That is possible, right?

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Internet connect doobells and toasters?  You are pulling my leg are you not? The less devices connected to the internet the better.  I don't get the point of internet connected central heating devices, electricity meters etc.  A closed circuit network inside the house should work just fine to operate the temperature regulators for the various rooms from one central point. Or have that one point connect via blue tooth to an app if you must be so damn lazy top turn the heat up or down from your sofa.

And letting anyone show your use of electricity etc. from outside the house is simply nuts (but these so called smart meters are installed all over NL so electricity/power companies can check your usage and bill you without having to sent staff to check your meter).

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,319 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"Admiral Donutz"Internet connect doobells and toasters?  You are pulling my leg are you not? The less devices connected to the internet the better.  I don't get the point of internet connected central heating devices, electricity meters etc.  A closed circuit network inside the house should work just fine to operate the temperature regulators for the various rooms from one central point. Or have that one point connect via blue tooth to an app if you must be so damn lazy top turn the heat up or down from your sofa.

And letting anyone show your use of electricity etc. from outside the house is simply nuts (but these so called smart meters are installed all over NL so electricity/power companies can check your usage and bill you without having to sent staff to check your meter).

Being able to see who is at your door, turn your heating on or make toast while you're at work or whatever the case may be seems to be a bit of a gimmick these days, but even IF this level of connectivity is required, the device needs to be securely designed to only connect to certain, pre-approved servers, ideally via a VPN or something like this.

These devices really have no reason to be able to access any site or internet address other than the one they were designed to use.

The problem is like I say, most of these devices are made cheap, and this means using cheap, out-of-the-box open software like Android or Linux.