*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

So I managed to snag a U2410 for €300 the other day. I was very happy, because these things are €750 new here.

One of the main reasons I got it is because I figured with my setup - an i7 950 and soon-to-be GTX 580 - I couldn't really justify running everything at 1680x1050. So I went looking for a 19x12 one with a USB hub, and VESA mounting. This proved to be a lot harder than one might think.

Before I got this, I really wasn't sure that an IPS was worth the price premium over a TN or a PVA. I have to say, now that I've had this monitor for a couple of days, I'm really, really happy with it. I'm upgrading from a 2208WFP. One of the better TN-based monitors out there. In comparison, that monitor seems very dull and bland. The whites on this are so bright that by last night I had a bit of a headache. =p

Unfortunately, because I sold my 480 last wek, I have an 8400GS in here, and it can't really drive a whole lot of anything at 19x12, but even Freespace 2 looks a whole lot nicer than it did before. Explosions, and shield impacts in particular look wonderful.

Just a little snippit, in case anyone was thinking of a monitor upgrade. If you can snag an IPS for cheap, they're well worth it.

I'll post pics tomorrow when I'm (hopefully) feeling a bit better. I've been getting over the mother of all flus here at the moment.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

Nice find, I've seen comparison pics of a U2711 next to a fairly good TN and the difference is night and day. Unfortunately for me I'm looking for one display to do everything with, and 24" isn't big enough. I question whether even 27" is, and even if it were, the asking price for the U2711 is more than I'd want to pay and I don't relish the idea of using a PC TV tuner for watching TV. Got my eyes on an LG 32LD450. It's IPS, is 4:4:4 color capable, has only 1.5 frames input lag, and currently runs just under $450. I'm thinking I can probably snatch one for $400 or less when the big sales hit.

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago

I was going to post comparison pictures, but the only camera I have is my iPhone, and that's a truly shocking POS. You really can't see differences at all.

I can use this thing for everything, as it has every freaking port out there, barr S-Video (but really, who the hell uses that anyway?)

Oh, I should mention that this has also got a card reader in it. A card reader! How cool is that?