MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#1 1 year ago

Anyone know some good websites with tests or recommendations for system cameras? First time I want to buy a good camera, ruled out DSLR due to size and weight. As I don't know that much aobut photography I don't need a super expensive kit. More of a starter setup with good value for money.

Mostly I'll be taking pictures of my kid (fast autofocus required) and otherwise landscapes while on vacation.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,251 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,114 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 1 year ago
FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,405 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Honestly, IMO, if you're not super serious into photography, high end smartphones are fine. I take some amazing photos with my iPhone 6S Plus.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,337 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#4 1 year ago
"MrFancypants"Anyone know some good websites with tests or recommendations for system cameras?

https://www.dpreview.com

Are a pretty good website, and they have buying guides for the different categories of cameras:

https://www.dpreview.com/tag/2017-roundups

^_^

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the links. I did read quite a few reviews and found three options: 1.: Fujifilm X-T20 2.: Panasonic GX 80 (in some countries sold as GX81) 3: High-end smartphone

The Fuji is expensive (1000€) but has a slightly better sensor than the Panasonic. It also has a higher quality frame and looks quite nice. The Panasonic is about 600€ and can do most of what the Fuji can do. Finally, the smartphone would be an option as I'd actually carry it around with me all the time whereas the larger cameras would only be used on vacation or at home. Also, as I'm not a photography expert a lot of the features of the expensive cameras may be overkill for me. Especially when I look at websites like this: https://petapixel.com/2016/10/05/iphone-7-vs-leica-m9-p-side-side-photo-comparison/

GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Give www.kenrockwell.com a look.  He does great reviews of cameras and lenses.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,737 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#7 1 year ago
"FileTrekker"Honestly, IMO, if you're not super serious into photography, high end smartphones are fine. I take some amazing photos with my iPhone 6S Plus.

Smart phone cameras have improved a lot over the past couple years, but my Galaxy Note 4 (which had a pretty good camera for its time) has a pretty mediocre camera if you ask me. Sure, it's fine for taking images in a pinch, and you can get some pretty good-looking images outdoors, but it distorts images a lot under certain circumstances and applies some sort of filtering method that causes images under low lighting conditions or that are moving to be pretty washed out and/or blurry.  It's still the only camera I use though, and is fine for my purposes, which don't usually don't include images taken for the sake of showing off.

I've attached a few images (post-shrunk to 50% size) that show off a bit of the good and bad of the camera.

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,337 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#8 1 year ago
"MrFancypants"First time I want to buy a good camera, ruled out DSLR due to size and weight.

pQH5wh4.png

:uhm:

Seriously though, if you ever do want to get into photography as a hobby, one of the mid-range DSLRs with a 70-300mm or the like (not pictured, that's a 150-600mm lens I use for shooting wildlife, and is much larger) is very portable. Like, I don't know how much my camera weighs with the smaller telephoto I've got on it, (50-250mm if memory serves,) but I could comfortably hold it up all day without bother and I'm not exactly a massive fella :)

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#9 1 year ago

Thanks for all the input guys. In the end I went with the Fuji XT-20. I think were some more reasonable alternatives pricing wise, but I really liked the design and I managed to get a bit of a discount from the local camerashop.

So I am a total noob when it comes to taking pictures, I mostly use the auto mode for now, but the results are still orders of magnitude better than what I could do before. Here some examples from a recent vacation in Italy: https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/QtlUmxpZPBqAan4GJqBtZN0UGUtDQwaGQRANXck7SoR?v=grid&ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Nemmerle Forum Mod

298,337 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Nice ^_^ The form factor's very nostalgic :)

lwTkC71.jpg

There's a bunch of good resources on youtube on and around photography too!

These folks, for instance, seem quite helpful 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkJEEIifDzR_2K2p9tnwYQ