Pyroshane

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

16th December 2004

0 Uploads

233 Posts

0 Threads

#1 8 years ago

A friend/coworker of mine was commenting the other day about how her old laptop's charger port broke and she can no longer charge the computer. According to her, the computer should still work just fine, just the battery is dead and she can no longer charge it. It is a pretty old laptop, a Dell Inspiron 2200.

She replaced it and no longer has any need of it, but she had a lot of photos on it that she would like to get from it, so I offered to take a look at it and see if I couldn't get them off and burn them to DVD for her. I popped the hard drive out, and it is a Hitachi Travelstar 40gb with part number 0A25839. A quick Google search shows it uses a DMA/ATA-100 connection, which I quickly tested as not connecting to a standard IDE cable (laying around from an old desktop I stripped for parts). The label on the drive lists it as ATA/IDE.

Are there any external shells available for this type of drive, or an adapter that would let me plug it into a PC? Or any other suggestions for accessing the files on the drive? I am not overly experienced with laptops or the connectors they use, having just bought my first (a Toshiba Qosmio x505-888) a couple weeks ago, but I have plenty of experience building and rebuilding desktops so it shouldn't be too hard to explain how to work this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#2 8 years ago

ATA-100 is IDE. Ultra ATA/IDE/PATA are all different names for the same physical connection, there are different revisions but they should all plug in the same. DMA/UDMA is the transfer rate, not the connector type.

Try a different IDE cable maybe?

Pyroshane

50 XP

16th December 2004

0 Uploads

233 Posts

0 Threads

#3 8 years ago

The pins line up, but the desktop IDE cable is a bit too large to plug in. Also, there is a set of four additional pins just off from the main set that I am assuming replaces the Molex connector for power in the smaler laptop drive. Would a shell designed for a 2.5" IDE drive have the proper connector inside? Can't find any on Newegg that shows a picture of the connector, just multiple angles of the shell from the outside.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#4 8 years ago

You need some IDE adaptor. See if you can pick up an IDE to usb somewhere online like ebay.

Pyroshane

50 XP

16th December 2004

0 Uploads

233 Posts

0 Threads

#5 8 years ago

So these enclosures should work?

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Hard Drives,External Enclosures,2.5",IDE

It seems like I may have initially just confused myself over nothing and should have stuck with my initial assumption that 2.5" IDE drives just use a slightly different connector than 3.5" drives. The only 2.5" drives I have played around with are SATA and they had the same connections as a 3.5" drive which is probably the source of my initial confusion.

Thanks again for the help!

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#6 8 years ago
Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#7 8 years ago

:/ IDE still exists? lol

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#8 8 years ago

Sgt. D. Pilla is cutting edge 1337, haxors! :rolleyes:

Yes IDE is still around. Pentium IVs are still sufficient for many tasks as well, even the Non-HT ones.

About the only thing that has kicked the bucket is AGP. Or it should be dead by now.

Pyroshane;5398350It seems like I may have initially just confused myself over nothing and should have stuck with my initial assumption that 2.5" IDE drives just use a slightly different connector than 3.5" drives.

Remember there is no such thing as a dumb question, unless YOU ask it!

Just kidding. It never hurts to ask, but you assumed correctly.

Laptop CD/DVD-ROM drives do have a few different types of connectors, fyi.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#9 8 years ago

Monster_user;5398587 Yes IDE is still around.

About the only thing that has kicked the bucket is AGP. Or it should be dead by now.

Heh. Only my main gaming rig is SATA. My two other old PCs, both my Mac's, and my laptop are still rocking with IDE.

They are all AGP-powered as well. :p

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#10 8 years ago

Sgt. D. Pilla is cutting edge 1337, haxors!

Yes IDE is still around. Pentium IVs are still sufficient for many tasks as well, even the Non-HT ones.

You just had to take a jab...

I was being serious...I haven't seen any PCs in the past 2 years using IDE. Mainly because any PC within the last 8 or so years can typically take SATA, so people used SATA.

Out of my 3 laptops, and 2 desktops, ranging from 2003 to now, all have used SATA, and only 1 of the desktops (my current one) was self built.