DPD's new app that tracks everything you do.... 5 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,403 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 2 years ago

....just so they don't miss your parcel;

So apparently they have a new app which alerts the delivery driver when you've left the house, and alerts them again when you're back at home, so they don't miss you. It also has the user pre-program their daily routine into the app so they know when you're likely to be in or out.

Now apart from the obvious and fucking frightning implications for theives should this data ever get stolen, or hell, into the hands of a bent employee (look at how many Post Office workers have been caught stealing valuble mail over the years....) but uh, isn't this a lot of effort just to avoid missing a parcel?

It seems like a problem that does not need solving. Logistics these days are pretty good without the delivery driver knowing about it every time I need to go to the shops or something, don't you think?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,240 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 2 years ago

But now I can tell the app I am taking a shit so the driver knows I can't answer the door!

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#3 2 years ago

You don't even need to be home. Flex delivery or SwipBox and you're set. I don't see why this is a necessity at all.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,340 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#4 2 years ago

Why is this even a thing?

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Venture a guess that some executive thought they need to be "hip" and "up front" with the youth, and apps are totes in. So surely that's what would improve services?

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,337 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,145 Posts

5 Threads

#6 2 years ago

One of the annoying things about ordering online is the requirement to be in or to go to some out of the way place in order to collect your loot. I'd imagine this is an attempt to get around that.

Do I think it's a good idea? Not really. Honestly, I think we'd do better having deliveries take place mainly on the weekend. It's very odd to me that deliveries take place during the time when people are going to be at work.