From Windows Phone to iOS 3 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,995 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Yes, I have sold my soul to the devil.

CnQDB66WEAQRqe6.jpg

So here are a few observations right off the bat;

- Compared to the Lumia 930 I had, on the table in the photo, this phone is awwwwesome. - iPhones look shit with a white bezel / gold / light silver back. But this carbon fibre black type effort? omfgsosexy. IMO. - Screen is much nicer, bigger, clearer, all that good stuff. - Much thinner, much lighter. - The camera I am told is not quite as good as the S7 Edge. But it is a lot better than the 930's camera, which was an awesome camera. So who cares right? The camera is very nice.

But I miss the Windows Phone OS. Somewhat.

IMO, nothing beats the tiles interface of the Windows Phone home screen. That shit is clean, very useful, and very pretty. On the other hand, the iOS home screen is just plain icons with notification numbers on them at best.

iOS is a nice looking os everywhere else though, I prefer the notification drop-down and the left hand screen with info at a glance.

But the main thing is apps. Fuck me, I was missing out big time on Windows Phone.

So a nicer experience overall. I just find it a shame that Microsoft have all but abandoned Windows Phone.

Couple things I hate about iOS though. No easy WiFi management as far as I can see? Windows phone had this down pat.

It's not easy to swipe away notifications from lock screen?

I do love the touch ID stuff though, very cool.

Anyway yes, I am ready for the bitchy saltiness. :D

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I made the same move, and also rather liked elements of Windows phone. Best bits of iPhone? Probably the integration for me. I like contacts being auto populated from email if they're added from one, being able to deep press on a time in an email to create an appointment, that sort of thing is very smooth. The calendar is a much smoother interface as well. 

Dislikes? Mostly how awkward it can be to get your data out of the thing. 

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,995 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#3 2 years ago

"Nemmerle"I made the same move, and also rather liked elements of Windows phone. Best bits of iPhone? Probably the integration for me. I like contacts being auto populated from email if they're added from one, being able to deep press on a time in an email to create an appointment, that sort of thing is very smooth. The calendar is a much smoother interface as well. 

Dislikes? Mostly how awkward it can be to get your data out of the thing. 

Agreed.

I have found also that, although earlier versions of WIndows Phone (7.x and to a lesser degree, 8) had a consistant interface, lately, with the 10 update and recent app updates, the UX on Windows phones was WILDLY inconsistant. You either had swipes, burger menus, or the traditional Windows Phone layouts, and they changed wildly from one screen to the next.

I adore the consistency of experience in iOS. Every app works the same and its actually easier to use, IMO.

It has fit me like a hand into a custom made glove I must admit.

I've had a major problem trying to install apps though, for some reason this has been a super slow, fustrating, awkward experience, with app installs going wrong or taking ages. I am not sure if I should blame hotel WiFi for this though, so I will update my opinions when I get home.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Nemmerle Forum Mod

Voice of joy and sunshine

298,291 XP

26th May 2003

0 Uploads

28,141 Posts

5 Threads

#4 2 years ago

App installs have worked fine for me. You might want to make sure that you're on the latest version of iOs, when you get home, but failing that I imagine it's the wifi.

------------

Windows Phone... -sigh- I think your consistency comment is really it in a nutshell; both knowing when to make things match and when not to. You can't do style unless you have a set of principles uniting your design and enabling that design to produce the sort of user interactions that enable the productivity they're interested in.

That goes over to their Windows 10 integration on desktop too. That might have convinced me to stay with them. Like, if they'd made a decent calendar application for desktop, if they'd followed through on having some sort of coms hub on desktop, if they had a decent mail program on desktop.... It could have been great. But it's largely like you said - inconsistent. Where they've gone for consistency it's almost always crippled the desktop experience. Like their mail application is... oh brother. Jesus Christ.

-sigh-

The problem, to put things pithily, isn't that MS has bad taste. It's that little taste is discernible at all in their products, neither for good nor for ill. You can't even improve things consistently if you don't have a stable process to improve.

Apple used to, not to the same extent any more, have a fantastic style guide that they handed out to third party companies for the software they'd allow on their systems. It's still a more tastefully designed system than the one MS brings to the table - though I'm inclined to wonder how they're going to do in the years to come now that S.J. isn't at the head any more. Gonna be interesting to see what comes of the next major iPhone update later this year.

--------

Heh /ramble