*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Whats the best cooler i could get for my 3850? I'm not sure whats good when it comes to GPU cooling so i need some help here. I'm not having overheating problems, but i want to put a pretty good overclock on it, and the stock HSF is just enough to keep up at stock speeds. I was thinking maybe something like a dual slot cooler to vent hot air directly out of my case but the only place i've seen those is when they come factory installed. Preferablly something reasonably quiet as well. Any suggestions?

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Rather then a cooler per say, what about an exhaust? Its not going to directly cool your card, but if you have the system case, then you would still be able to overclock. What I was thinking, is if you have enough PCI gates, put the card down as low as it will, so that it is near the 'cool' air (Cold air sinks), then install either a single, or dual slot exhaust above it, in the gate(s) above or below it, so there is no more PCI gates between the GPU or exhaust. Basically, the GPU in theory would be sitting in 'cold' air which sinks, and the exhaust will vent the hot rising air before it gets anywhere near other hardware. So in addition to keeping the hot air off the GPU, its also keeping it away from other components. It should perform quite well, but as to the extra over clockability im not sure what you could expect, compared to a new/better cooler for the GPU

Just my thoughts on what I would do

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

I'd suggest the Thermalright HR-03 GT as a good bet (with a 92mm fan of your choice).

arcadeplayer987

Revenge was here.

50 XP

25th April 2007

0 Uploads

1,819 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

AC Accelero S1 - good VGA cooler and cheap. Here is a good review: Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 VGA Cooler | silentpcreview.com

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Sgt. D. Pilla;4206978Rather then a cooler per say, what about an exhaust? Its not going to directly cool your card, but if you have the system case, then you would still be able to overclock. What I was thinking, is if you have enough PCI gates, put the card down as low as it will, so that it is near the 'cool' air (Cold air sinks), then install either a single, or dual slot exhaust above it, in the gate(s) above or below it, so there is no more PCI gates between the GPU or exhaust. Basically, the GPU in theory would be sitting in 'cold' air which sinks, and the exhaust will vent the hot rising air before it gets anywhere near other hardware. So in addition to keeping the hot air off the GPU, its also keeping it away from other components. It should perform quite well, but as to the extra over clockability im not sure what you could expect, compared to a new/better cooler for the GPU

Just my thoughts on what I would do

Well, i have one open slot above the card, and two below. On the stock cooler the highest i took the core speed up to was 830Mhz, but it was hitting almost 90C so i'm leaving it at the factory clocks for now.

I hadn't thought of a exhaust fan above the card though, i have a cheap PCI slot exhaust fan that i could turn upside down and put above the card.

Holy hell, that Accelero is huge! It does look pretty impressive though, and with those tests with the 120mm fan added it looks great. But, with that and a fan added would it take up 3 PCI slots then?

Its massive size wouldn't cause the card to bend at all would it?

arcadeplayer987

Revenge was here.

50 XP

25th April 2007

0 Uploads

1,819 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

The Accelero+ the 120mm fan will take only 3 slots but you can use it without the fan and it will be 100% silent and is also only 290gr so no problem there