Speer

GF's Cheerios Expert

50 XP

16th January 2008

0 Uploads

2,082 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

If I want a graphics card that can run KOTOR I, KOTOR II, Supreme commander, JK3, Battlefront I & II, and C&C generals zero hour what do you recommend?

Retherferd

|

50 XP

12th February 2007

0 Uploads

2,924 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Since the only game you mentioned that even remotely requires a good card would have to be SupCom. I am going to have to go ahead and show you this video card that I am buying right now.

My personal recommendation.

This card can play those games and it has VGA and SLI support just in case and it's cheap but powerful until you want to do some hardcore gaming in the near future.

The-Bleh-Bleh

Hasselhoff is my hero

50 XP

12th December 2006

0 Uploads

6,189 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

An 8600GT sounds right. I believe you should be able to run all of those very contently.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago
Retherferd;4201607Since the only game you mentioned that even remotely requires a good card would have to be SupCom. I am going to have to go ahead and show you this video card that I am buying right now. My personal recommendation. This card can play those games and it has VGA and SLI support just in case and it's cheap but powerful until you want to do some hardcore gaming in the near future.

Your much better off getting the 256MB GDDR3 version... The 512MB is overkill on the 8600 GT. It cant take full advantage of that much VRAM, and the GDDR2 is a much lower frequency. This makes it a bigger handicap. Next thing we need to know, do you have a PCI-EX 16 slot? Or AGP? If you don't know this go to start, run, and type dxdiag, if your on vista, start, accessories, run, and type dxdiag. You can either take a screen shot using Prnt screen, or click on save information. Post this, and it should give us a good idea of what you can do, although its not exactly 100%... And also, do you think you will ever want to playing any newer games? If so I would recommend something a bit higher then the 8600 GT 256MB GDDR3. The 9600 GT is coming out soon, and should be a good value. Roughly $50 more, but twice as fast.

Speer

GF's Cheerios Expert

50 XP

16th January 2008

0 Uploads

2,082 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Sorry, I'm a noob. I have a vostro 200 slimtower, so I'm not sure if it will fit.

Freyr VIP Member

A2Files Staff

46,875 XP

6th February 2005

11 Uploads

4,275 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

We need to know if your computer is using AGP or PCI-E before we can recommend a card. Also, knowing the rest of your system requirements would help us. Its possible if its an old PC that upgrading components other than the graphics card may be more of an improvement.

If you follow the instructions that RadioShackRob has posted below then we ought to be able to help.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

The Dell he has is relatively new and they have a PCI-E 16x slot, thankfully.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Your problem is not so much the type of graphics port (which is Pci Ex 16x as Bs mentioned), it's the limitation of your PS, which is only 250w. (Dell Vostro 200 Slim Tower [COLOR=blue]Documentation[/COLOR]) It won't likely have more than 21A combined on the 12V rail at the very most. The 8600GT doesn't require a power connector but they do recommend at least a 300w PS for it. It's also a slim style case, which may not even fit a standard size PS and even struggle to fit some video cards. It would help a lot if you could open the tower, measure the PS's W, H, D, and take a close up picture of the inside of the case. I searched for interior pics but could not find any. It's common that name brand PCs can accept aftermarket PSs anymore but it's good to make sure the MB's 12v socket will fit one first. It should have a standard 20 or 24 pin main ATX power socket in order to work with one. From what I've read the 8600GT requires about 22A on the 12V rail. Provided they fit, for around $115 you could do well with this video card and PS: [COLOR=blue]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150258[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371005[/COLOR] I showed that video card because it's well cooled and clocked at a reasonable price. The cooling would help in a case with minmal air space. However if the cooler is too bulky to fit this might work better: [COLOR=blue]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229[/COLOR]

Retherferd

|

50 XP

12th February 2007

0 Uploads

2,924 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

Speer;4201642Sorry, I'm a noob. I have a vostro 200 slimtower, so I'm not sure if it will fit.[/QUOTE]

Well obviously you have no clue what we're asking. I would see about finding a friend in real life or someone in a computer shop who knows what the hell they're doing before you even try to open your case to tell us what can fit. If you really don't know all this stuff then you need to learn it.

[QUOTE=RadioShackRob;4201632]Your much better off getting the 256MB GDDR3 version... The 512MB is overkill on the 8600 GT. It cant take full advantage of that much VRAM, and the GDDR2 is a much lower frequency. This makes it a bigger handicap.

No way? I can't take full advantage? Well I see... Though I do have the card myself it's never giving any problems to me, it's also been able to play all those games he mentioned and the news ones out right now.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago
Retherferd;4201951No way? I can't take full advantage? Well I see... Though I do have the card myself it's never giving any problems to me, it's also been able to play all those games he mentioned and the news ones out right now.

Games that need 512MB RAM on the video card require more power than an 8600 can provide. As a rule - particularly with midrange cards like 8600s - you're better off with a faster version that has less memory.