Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 2 years ago

No doubt you've heard the news if you own a 970. The card was advertised to have 4 GB of video RAM, and while that advertisement wasn't false per se, but it was misleading, as the last 0.5 GB of video RAM interfaced at a much slower speed than the rest of the RAM, rendering it for most intents and purposes, useless. I myself have experienced issues with this, as the 3.5 GB mark is right on the threshold of what some games require  when gaming at 2.5k resolution.

Long story short, Nvidia claims it could have fought the suit further, but decided to bite the bullet and make a settlement to end the suit. It's estimated that everyone who's purchased a 970 will be able to receive a $30 refund, but more details will be available towards October. Owners will have until mid-December to make their claims.

However, I'm on the fence as to whether I should cash in on the settlement. The 970 was a great value card for its time, and I purchased the card knowing I'd only have the 3.5 GB of usable RAM. I'm not convinced Nvidia are the "bad guys" this time around.

More info here: http://www.techtimes.com/articles/171986/20160731/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-customers-could-get-30-refunds-in-false-advertising-settlement.htm

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 2 years ago

You don't have to give the card back for the refund, do you? That's bananas.  You could re-sell it for much more than that.

I imagine you'll be able to claim the $30 and keep the card. And you should, too. Most people aren't going to bother doing it, and therefor this isn't a major problem for Nvidia I don't think.

Agreed it should never have taken place to begin with, though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,127 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#3 2 years ago

If you still have the original box, you can sell it on Craigslist for almost new retail price.

But yes. If the box says 4gb, it had better have the full 4gb.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 2 years ago
"FileTrekker" I imagine you'll be able to claim the $30 and keep the card. And you should, too. Most people aren't going to bother doing it, and therefor this isn't a major problem for Nvidia I don't think.

I'm pretty certain this is the case.

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#5 2 years ago
"Superfluous Curmudgeon "
"FileTrekker" I imagine you'll be able to claim the $30 and keep the card. And you should, too. Most people aren't going to bother doing it, and therefor this isn't a major problem for Nvidia I don't think.

I'm pretty certain this is the case.

Absolutely no reason not to cash in then.

Ultimately, even if you like the card, it was mis-sold at the end of the day. It's money you're now entitled to claim.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I feel like the lawsuit itself was probably more expensive for the prosecutor than it will be for Nvidia to issue these refunds, which is hilarious.

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,301 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 2 years ago
"Serio"I feel like the lawsuit itself was probably more expensive for the prosecutor than it will be for Nvidia to issue these refunds, which is hilarious.

I think Nvidia has also been ordered to pay all court costs, so that would probably have been true, but only if NVidia had won. But it's possible the group suing them would have either done it out principle or been a large group of GTX 970 owners.