I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

20th February 2006

0 Uploads

5,663 Posts

0 Threads

#12 13 years ago

Just goes to show that backing-up saves the day. :D

And, woo, 700th post, 300 away from 1000! W00t.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#13 13 years ago
BITE_ME!!Ok just an update on this one. In short I am a freaking idiot!!! ...I deleated the partitions on both my main drive and the slave drive....I lost all my data...

Huh? How did you loose all of your data? Did you drop the drive off of a ten story building? Blow a hole in it with a shotgun? Melt the components in an incinerator?

If all you did was simply delete the partition, then why all the ruckus? I've done that a dozen times. Its no big deal.

Perhaps you were unaware of Testdisk, or one of the countless partition restoration utilities available. Testdisk is an Open Source (free) program. Its a little more advanced, and uses a DOS style interface, but it gets the job done.

BITE_ME!!

=WW=, WolfTactics

21,700 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,925 Posts

0 Threads

#14 13 years ago

Ah good question....I deleated the partition that help all my data. Even after it asked if I wanted to do this :uhoh: So in effect I did two things...I destroyed the data and rendered the HDD useless until it was reformated. I had some IT people in the building help me on this one and they agreed I was an idot! Again this should be a lesson for everyone here....ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA!!! Backups once a week are the norm for me thank GOD!!!:D

NoOdLe

Network \"Hitman\"

50 XP

4th November 2002

0 Uploads

421 Posts

0 Threads

#15 13 years ago

I make sure I back up all my games and movies to 5" floppies!! The important stuff gets printed out on my dot-matrix in binary mode so I can type it all back in if I lose it ;)

BITE_ME!!

=WW=, WolfTactics

21,700 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,925 Posts

0 Threads

#16 13 years ago

lol - your not old enough to remember 5" floppies. Ah the good old days....I remember programing in basic on my keyboard with no monitor and loading my progrmas on 5 feet of punch tape... :naughty:

NoOdLe

Network \"Hitman\"

50 XP

4th November 2002

0 Uploads

421 Posts

0 Threads

#17 13 years ago

hehe I am too old enough to remember 5" floppies, it was the first computer I ever used in 7th grade! You had to boot to your own personal 5"! Even though I am comparitivly young, i have a flair for the "old-school" I have an old Terminal plugged into my Linux box through Serial, there is nothing like the warm orange font on brown backround and the feel of metal spring keys on your keyboard!

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#18 13 years ago
BITE_ME!!Ah good question....I deleated the partition that help all my data. Even after it asked if I wanted to do this :uhoh: So in effect I did two things...I destroyed the data and rendered the HDD useless until it was reformated. I had some IT people in the building help me on this one and they agreed I was an idot! Again this should be a lesson for everyone here....ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR DATA!!! Backups once a week are the norm for me thank GOD!!!:D

You're missing his point, neither deleting or formatting destroys data. All it does is mark that space as usable so it can be written over, meaning that you can usually restore lost partitions and data with the correct tool.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#19 13 years ago

:agreed

BITE_ME!!So in effect I did two things...I destroyed the data and rendered the HDD useless until it was reformated.

So in effect, You did two things here...

1. You hid your data, by deleting the "records" of where each item is located on the drive.

2. You prevented data from being added, or removed via Windows, by deleting the "records".

The truth is, your data was PERFECTLY fine. Absolutely, 100% recoverable. Some of it remains, and is just fine.

Allow me to explain. When you format a drive, your doing two things. It erases the "records" of the old data, and creates a new "record". This record is like a card catalog at a library. It contains the name of the file, the "number", and what "section" it is located.

Like a library, you can destroy the "card catalog", and your data or the books will remain intact. They will just be more difficult to find. The difference is, that most Operating Systems (Windows) will not be able to read data from a drive without its "records". There are programs that can read the data, without those catalogs. They are called "file recovery utilities".

The partition tables are like the blueprints of a building. You can knock down the walls of a building, or move them, without destroying the data/books.

So you tore down the walls to your "library", and then destroyed your "card catalog". Now when a new "building"/partition is created on a drive, the old one is not completely wiped away. The information just remains hidden. It can also be overwritten, since there is nothing preventing that from happening.

Hopefully this explains it.

My school used to use 5" floppies. The ones that were actually, "floppy". I used to keep a couple around, "just-in-case". Until I found out that I couldn't actually put any files on the disk, besides text...

BITE_ME!!

=WW=, WolfTactics

21,700 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,925 Posts

0 Threads

#20 13 years ago

Ok thanks for the tip above. I had everything backed up but will save this for the future if I ever do this again!! Oh and I still have my Apple IIc with the monicrome monitor & dot matrix printer...no HDD so all programs have to be loaded by multiple 5" floppies. Took 2 disks to load my lemonade stand game!!