V0rtex

Thread hijacks: 1

50 XP

26th April 2004

0 Uploads

2,324 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I tried posting this in the Call of Duty forum, but got no replies. A few weeks ago I got a virus on my computer, and soon deleted it. But not before it managed to change the administrator on my computer. Now whenever I play CoD I get kicked for 'inadequite O/S privleges". I'm a big computer n00b, so if anyone could tell me how to restore my admin privs, it would be greatly appreciated and I would be forever in your debt. :)

ScOrPY VIP Member

Advanced Member

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

15,582 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Try (for WinXP) Control Panel > User Accounts > "Click your account" > Change my account type > Computer Administrator.

V0rtex

50 XP

26th April 2004

0 Uploads

2,324 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

There seems to be only one admin, so that doesn't work. On the bottom of the page it says "The administrator account is only visible on the welcome screen when no other accounts exist" That is the only icon I get on startup so I guess that means I don't have an account. :confused: If I start a new one, will it have all the same settings as my old one, or will I have to re-load everything?

V0rtex

50 XP

26th April 2004

0 Uploads

2,324 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

I'm beginning to think that the virus is still there, because I went to windows help and a lot of the options that should be available for an account, are not there.

Spyder F-16

Amerika ist Wunderbar

50 XP

2nd February 2003

0 Uploads

2,768 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Best bet is to burn stuff you want to keep to CD rom, and get your Windows CD out.

Giz VIP Member

Massivis Effectivous

116,112 XP

8th May 2002

0 Uploads

9,297 Posts

922 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Restart your PC and randomly hit the F8 key when you start to see the white text (shows random info quickly before it loads windows). Select 'Safe Mode' Once it gets set to load your PC in safe mode, it will show two accounts. One will say 'administrator' the other (if there is) will probably be the one you normally use. You should be able to access the administrator one from there and then change the password. If it doesn't work load into yours (still in safe mode) and attempt to modify the administration account password.

Its worked for me. Double check and make sure you got that virus. If all else fails, you can attempt system restore (not sure if it works with the password situation) and then last, the windows CD and go from there.

Good luck.

Pestilence64

Battlefield 2 ROX!

50 XP

15th January 2004

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

you could create a new login with admin priviledges. if that doesnt help or you can't complete that option then i would say your screwed cus of whatever that virus did, and would say you should refer back to Spyder F-16's post.

zsh_xx

50 XP

25th November 2000

0 Uploads

232 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

Start --> Run --> Type the command "control userpasswords,2" for Windows XP Pro .....