0 Uploads

283 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

I was wondering what exactly the following components did etc

Cpu , and what does GHz refer too

Mother board

Graphics card

is memory ram and what does having more gbs mean for performance.

What optial drives would you have

Would you have 2 graphics cards

If you sound is coming via an amp would you need a sound card ?

nicklord1

Addicted to GF

50 XP

10th June 2007

0 Uploads

283 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

also power supply

cpu cooler

and a light weight but good case any suggestions

Freyr VIP Member

A2Files Staff

46,875 XP

6th February 2005

11 Uploads

4,275 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

nicklord1;4047693I was wondering what exactly the following components did etc

Cpu , and what does GHz refer too[/quote]

CPU is the Central Processing Unit, it does all of the calculations that your PC needs. GHz stands for Gigahertz. 1 Ghz = 1000 MHz. Basicially, this refers to the amount of work the chip can do.

However, if a slower processor can do more work then it can have a slower speed while actually working faster. A little confusing maybe, look at these and see if it helps making sense.

Faster, but not doing so much work |.| |.| |.|

Slower, but doing more work. |..| |..|

generally, Intel make faster chips, and AMD makes chips that do more work per cycle. The two are constantly trying to beat each other in overall performance, intel are currently in the lead.

Mother board

The motherboard is a board that everything else plugs into.

Graphics card

The graphics card is what connects your monitor to your computer, you don't need a fast card to do word processing as there is very little to do (unless you run windows vista) but you do need a fast card to play games as it has to draw 3D models and special effects.

is memory ram and what does having more gbs mean for performance.

Memory comes in two forms, RAM (Random Access Memory) and virtual memory, which is space on your hard drive used in place of RAM. RAM is faster than virtual memory, having more means more things can be stored in the RAM before the computer has to start using virtual memory, degrading performance.

What optial drives would you have

It depends on what you want to do. I have a lightscribe DVD drive, which can read and write both DVD's and CD's. If you want to make your own DVD's or CD's then you might be interested in these, otherwise a plain reader will be fine.

Would you have 2 graphics cards

It depends on what I wanted to run and if I was using multiple monitors.

If you sound is coming via an amp would you need a sound card ?

Yes. You need to connect your computer to your amp and then to your speakers to play the sound from your PC.

[quote=nicklord1;4047703]also power supply

The power supply supplies power to the PC. Big meaty PC's using lots of power need more powerful PSU's.

cpu cooler

The CPU can get quite hot. If it gets to hot it can melt things, which is bad and best avoided.

and a light weight but good case any suggestions

Have you ever built your own PC from scratch, and do you have any idea what you are doing?

I am just wondering, because while you can build a computer WAY faster and cheaper than anything sold in the shops you are going to work on it a little more than you would otherwise. Personally, I wouldn't buy a boxed computer and I have always built from components since it has been possible but I know how to do it. If you don't, then learning a little more about what you are doing at this stage would be an excellent idea.

Johnny Mullet

Hi-Tech Redneck

50 XP

7th March 2005

0 Uploads

1,969 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

I will reply in simple terms so it's not confusing............

CPU is the processor and the higher the GHz, the faster the CPU.

Motherboard is the large board inside the computer where everything attaches to and the CPU is mounted on.

Graphics card is also known as a video card. Some motherboards have "built in" graphics, but people add a seperate GFX card for better video performance especially if you like gaming.

Memory (RAM) is essential for a computer to run. The more memory (RAM) you have, the faster the computer. By today's standards, 512MB of RAM should be the minimum unless you do nothing but E-mail or visit sites, then 256MB would suffice.

A DVD-R would be my choice for an optical drive.

2 GFX cards can be done, but only left to those who know what they are doing. One good video card is all that is needed.

Most computers have some sort of sound built into the motherboard, but if you want better sound, then adding a sound card helps a lot.

The power supply (PSU) provides all the power to the computer. If you add components like a video and sound card, more power may be needed to run the system.

CPU cooler is usually a heatsink mounted on top of the CPU with a cooling fan to keep the CPU from overheating.

Aspire makes great cases that are well built and lightweight.

Rookie VIP Member

128,030 XP

3rd May 2005

0 Uploads

11,953 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

nicklord1;4047693I was wondering what exactly the following components did etc Cpu , and what does GHz refer too[/quote] The clock speed of a CPU is measured in Gigahertz. It's used as a loose term to give a rough idea of performance, however with the advent of new CPU architectures you can't really use a GHz rating as a reliable estimate of performance any longer.

The CPU itself is, for want of a better word, the "brain" of the computer. At its most basic level, it consists of the Arithmetic Logic Unit, Registers, Program Counters, Instruction Decoders and Instruction Registers, as well as an address bus and data bus. Multi-Core processors are processors which are designed with more than one CPU 'Core' on a single chip.

nicklord1;4047693Mother board[/quote] It is exactly what its name implies; the main circuit board of a computer system. It hosts the CPU, main memory, the Northbridge (which handles interaction between the primary components of the computer, such as the CPU, Memory, and Graphics interface) and the Southbridge which handles secondary I/O such as HDDs, Optical Drives, Network, Sound and the PCI bus.

nicklord1;4047693Graphics card[/quote] In simple terms, a graphics card is an expansion card dedicated to rendering images on the computer display. Modern graphics cards also serve as a 3D accelerator, meaning they are capable of performing complex mathematical and geometric calculations, and also feature a large amount of texture memory in order to produce realistic 3-dimensional images.

Also, note that an IGP is not the same thing as a graphics card. Whilst they both serve the same purpose, an IGP is an Integrated Graphics Processor, which relies on CPU cycles to perform graphics calculations, instead of a dedicated processor. It also siphons off system RAM for use as texture memory.

nicklord1;4047693 is memory ram and what does having more gbs mean for performance.
Yes. And, in general, more memory will bring with it increased performance; however this is also dependent on the type and speed of the memory itself. Bear in mind, though, that standard 32-bit Microsoft operating systems (such as Windows XP) can only address a maximum of 3.5gb of RAM at any one time, due to memory-mapped I/O reservations. [quote=nicklord1;4047693]What optial drives would you have
DVD Rewriters are so cheap these days that to spend money on anything else would be insanity. Unless you fancy forking out £600 on a Blu-Ray drive. [quote=nicklord1;4047693]Would you have 2 graphics cards
You would generally only want dual GPUs if you want blistering performance from 3D applications, so it follows that dual-GPU solutions are mainly marketed to hardware or gaming enthusiasts. I, myself, own a dual-GPU system. [quote=nicklord1;4047693]If you sound is coming via an amp would you need a sound card ?

Not necessarily. Most motherboards come with an integrated sound processor - however as with dedicated graphics cards, a dedicated sound card will bring increased performance and audio quality.

nicklord1

Addicted to GF

50 XP

10th June 2007

0 Uploads

283 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

What do you think is worth it in the long run 2 8800 gt or 2 8800 ultras.

Also would a blu ray optical drive be beneficial for a year down the line.

Monitor wise i think i would like a dell wide screen but not sure whether the 24 , 27 or 30 inch is worth it for gaming performance.

SteVen

"World's Best Boss"

50 XP

14th August 2004

0 Uploads

3,254 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago
nicklord1;4049360What do you think is worth it in the long run 2 8800 gt or 2 8800 ultras.[/quote] Two Ultras would be a whole bloody waste of money. You'd probably be using them for maybe just a year before Nvidia releases much more powerful cards.
nicklord1;4049360Also would a blu ray optical drive be beneficial for a year down the line.
I see no use in Blu-Ray. It costs an arm and leg and only plays Blu-Ray DVDs. So you'll have to throw out all your normal DVDs. Also IMO you can't tell the quality difference from a Blu-Ray and a Progressive scan DVD unless you have a Magnifying Glass held up to your screen. [quote=nicklord1;4049360]Monitor wise i think i would like a dell wide screen but not sure whether the 24 , 27 or 30 inch is worth it for gaming performance.

27" and 30" seem a bit over-kill to me (probably aren't cheap either).

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

Besides what was mentioned above, note that a CPU that "does more work vs being faster" (eg multi core vs single core), does not always end up being faster depending on whether the games/apps are threaded or not. Now that games are being threaded that is less of an issue, but not yet a given. Also I don't believe going Blu-ray is necessarily a waste as long as you wait for a good price on one. That being said there have already been prices much lower than original retail on the LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive: [COLOR=blue]LG - 16x Internal Blu-ray Disc/ HD DVD Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive - GGC-H20LI[/COLOR] Word is Slickdeals.net had it for even less at $285. The question is does this mean there are other such combo drives soon to be released with better write speeds and similar or even better pricing?

nicklord1

Addicted to GF

50 XP

10th June 2007

0 Uploads

283 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

I think i am going to wait till jan /feb time for the upgrade but keep in constant touch with all components

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

Keep in mind though that some of the prices you see on the holidays are lower than you will see for a while on some items. Special purchases are often made for the holiday sales in big lots and/or distributor closeouts resulting in extraordinary deals you don't see at otrher times of year. The prices I showed on the LG combo drive for instance may be such a case.