kotfquig

Master skinner-in my mind :-P

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

HELP ME!!! ok i have a dell demension 4600 or w/e n e way ive been upgrading it, graphics card, video capture card, dvd burner so n e way i felt it was time to upgrade the cooling system, cause it sucked in there however, it needed another 5 1/2 inch external drive bay, so i bought a new case i just put everything in there, using the old power supply, to make sure nothing got screwed up well just my luck something did EVERYTHING is the same in this case as in the old one as far as setup with the motherboard, hard drive, cd drives, and power to the motherboard also i after adding everything i didnt even try and hook up the power switch to the new case (alot different, and would involve me color coating wires) so i figured just to check myself i would put the old switch in for a secound and make sure it ran, and of coarse to my frear IT DIDNT! all i have is a flashing orange light on the switch, and the motherboard has a green light on inside of it no fans start, and the hard drive doesnt boot up or n e thing im really fucking pissed off right now, and i havent even added the cooling system yet! ive checked every wire, every connection, and nothing, i even poped the battery out for a while to reset the cmos, i also poped the ram out (cause my friend had a similar problem once, and his ram just needed to be taken out and put back in) and it didnt work so the only thing im thinkin is it might be the power supply somehow, and i have another one that came with the case, but i heard a rumor once that some dell motherboards are specific to dell power supplies, and if you use a different power supply you'll fry the motherboard i tried askin dell about this when my brothers powersupply blew and they wouldnt answer it, they danced around it and then just said that they would send a new dell one because it was still under warrenty so yea, N E and ALL help would be appreciated!!

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

I would like you to meet my nemesis. My hated adversary. The URL that haunts my nightmares.

Meet Experts Exchange, and they think they can help, for a few bucks from your bank. http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Desktops/Q_21273278.html http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_21456873.html

After digging for a while, I believe that is a standard ATX compatible motherboard. So the power supply should work fine. Many people have replaced the PSU in the 4600. They're have been plenty of issues like yours, though.

There must be something else wrong...

Are you sure that all LED, and Switch lines are connected properly? Perhaps the Dell, and Standard ATX setups are crossed somehow. How about the extra 4 pin connector, if it has one?

Then you probably need to connect the USB ports as well, since they usually are the source for diagnostics, and errors, these days.

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

well there are two usb ports that were in the front of the old case, and there are two in the front of this case, but i havent hooked them up yet, cause like i said i just wanted to get everything in running order so far, not worry about n e thing small but could that really be the problem? also i just tried color coating the wires for the new switch and put that in and i dont get a flashing led light on the new one, however it still doesnt turn on the computer so i put the old switch back in and it is still flashin orange so really n e suggestions would be appreciated!

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

GRRR!!! i swear to god dell pisses me off sometimes! they said my power supply went bad, and this is part of the conversation 9:48:35 AM}Please allow me few minutes while I create the dispatch of power supply and give you the dispatch number . Meanwhile please confirm the name , shipping address and the telephone number where you want this part to be shipped. scrollBy(0,999999999);setIt()SetSts(false);FlashSts();if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(false)scrollBy(0,999999999);{********** 9:48:56 AM}i have a power supply that came with some of my stuff, will that work? scrollBy(0,999999999);setIt()FlashSts();if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();scrollBy(0,999999999);if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();SetSts(true)scrollBy(0,999999999);{Jayanta_Chakravarty 9:50:01 AM}i AM GOING TO REPLACE IT. scrollBy(0,999999999);setIt()SetSts(false);FlashSts();if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(false)scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(true)scrollBy(0,999999999);{Jayanta_Chakravarty 9:50:07 AM}I am sorry. scrollBy(0,999999999);setIt()SetSts(false);FlashSts();if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(false)scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(true)scrollBy(0,999999999);{Jayanta_Chakravarty 9:50:26 AM}****, please confirm the name , shipping address and the telephone number where you want this part to be shipped scrollBy(0,999999999);setIt()SetSts(false);FlashSts();if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp();scrollBy(0,999999999);SetSts(false)scrollBy(0,999999999);if ( typeof (parent.ChatForm) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft) == "object" ) if ( typeof(parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.Process) != "undefined" ) parent.ChatForm.chatformleft.UpdateTimeStamp(); WTF IS WITH THAT?!

im going away in like 2 days, i dont want to have to wait 2 weeks before i can fix my computer when i have a part that might work! if someone KNOWS that a different power supply will work please tell me

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

sorry about that ^

9:48:35 AM}Please allow me few minutes while I create the dispatch of power supply and give you the dispatch number . Meanwhile please confirm the name , shipping address and the telephone number where you want this part to be shipped. );{********** 9:48:56 AM}i have a power supply that came with some of my stuff, will that work? );{Jayanta_Chakravart y 9:50:01 AM}i AM GOING TO REPLACE IT.

Johnny Mullet

Hi-Tech Redneck

50 XP

7th March 2005

0 Uploads

1,969 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

Most aftermarket case come with a PSU that is compatible with most motherboeards. I would try the one that came with the case to see what happens. I doubt it is gonna fry the Dell MB because most Dell PCU's are under-powered anyway.

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

no offense man, but i need more then "i doubt" because when my mom bought this it was like 1000 dollars, and even though its not worth that much n e more she still sees it as that and if i fry the motherboard she WILL kill me the wattages on the power supply are AC INPUT- 115V/230V 10A/6A 60/50Hz DC OUTPUT- +3/3V +5V +12V -12V -5V +5VSB 450W- 26A 35A 15A 0.8A 0.5A 2A ok not sure what that all means because i cant find any of the specifications on the dell one, and of coarse the dell technicians wont tell me as i previously posted so as long as that wont "fry" the motherboard ill try it, but i wont try it unless at least 1, preferably 3 people tell me they are SURE that it wont fry the motherboard, ill take not work if it doesnt fry it, but i CANT fry this motherboard or i WILL die

kotfquig

50 XP

2nd August 2004

0 Uploads

284 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

well in my pissed off state i plugged in the other power supply... well the good news is it didnt fry my motherboard (i dont think n e way) bad thing is its doin the same thing as the old one the led light in the front still flashes orange, but when i first plugged it in the fan on the powersupply kicked on for a split secound, then went off, then if i tried unplugging it from the motherboard, and replugging it back in it would do the same thing for a secound so.... is the problem with my motherboard?

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

It's possible that while switching all of the parts to your new case, you damaged your motherboard. And dont get pissed at Dell. You were the one that gutted a computer (under warranty) transfered it into a new case, tried to add a new cooling system, and did all these other upgrades... your incredibly lucky that this didnt void the warranty. Any other computer manufaturer wouldn't even TALK to you about this problem after all the modifications you made. I would put everything back in the old case. If it doesnt work, get the computer replaced under warranty. Leave all the parts in there and forget your new cooling system. You may not be satisfied with Dell's cooling system, but its THERE cooling system and if you leave the comptuer in its original case with its original cooling system and anything overheats, your not responsible... Dell is.

Kilobyte

What does the Fox say?

69,060 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

6,468 Posts

0 Threads

#10 13 years ago

I'd check to make sure that your processor, RAM, and Video card are properly seated.

To tell the truth, I just ran into the exact same problem, and reseating my Video Card, and Ram fixed the problem. It was a custom built MSI KT6V system though, not a Dimension 4600. That stuff is always coming unseated, every time I move it. My brother wanted to borrow my card, and now I'm using an old ATI Radeon 7000, in 4-bit 16 color mode, and at 640x480. I had also upgraded my RAM to DDR400/PC3200, from DDR266/2100. Neither were properly snapped in. I was waiting on the drivers to finish downloading, and there done. So I'm off...