tudda

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

28th May 2009

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#1 9 years ago

Hi again guys. Again I'm going to need some help with my 'upcoming' computer. I want an entirely new desktop computer. I'm wondering what parts I should buy to fit with the HAF 932 case.

I want a i7 CPU. I would prefer the i7 920. Does a i7 MB fit with this case? Also, I want to get the Auzentech X-Fi Forte/Prelude soundcard, which requires a PCI-Express MB, does this setup fit together in the HAF 932 case? I'm a newbie at this area - I could possibly figgure it out myself if I actually spent some time trying to figgure it out myself, but it would take ages, so here I go ^^

I need a kickass computer, not something worth $500 or so, I'm willing to spend far more than $2000 so I'd appreciate if someone could help me out here :p

Cheers!

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,476 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,392 Posts

3 Threads

#2 9 years ago

I have a Haf 932 and tbh you do not need to worry about space. I have a water cooled system tucked away in mine with room to spare. The Exiled Gamers • View topic - My sytem now with water cooling

I am sure people will follow with specifics.

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#3 9 years ago

You'll be hard-pressed to find something that doesn't fit. Go nuts. ;)

Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#4 9 years ago

How do you want to spend your money? On an absolute top-notch build with no regard for value, or a top-notch build that takes value into account too?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#5 9 years ago

The HAF 932 will easily fit an i7 MB, thus it will in turn also fit an Auzentech X-Fi Forte. As I said before, what's more important is whether that sound card will fit the MB you choose, especially if you want to run multiple video cards. You will need to have one spare Pci-Ex slot (can be 1x or 4x) that has lots of room opposite the expansion slots (no MB components in the way) due to the length of that sound card.

It would help immensely if you would give us a rough idea of whether you plan to go dual or triple SLI as an upgrade path and how much you can budget for the MB. I tend to like the Gigabyte MBs, in fact I actually like their older dual SLI X58 better than their new triple SLI X58s.

IMO you don't need any more than dual SLI if you pick a powerful card to begin with. You also lose access to a lot of slots in the triple SLI capable MBs. I've yet to see one that is easy to install a sound card in if you use all 3 Pci-Ex slots for triple SLI. The dual SLI x58 Gigabyte MB also has a higher default memory standard at 2000MHz with no OC required. It's also very reasonably priced at $210.

If you don't want/need triple SLI, the only slight trade-off with the Giogabyte X58 dual SLI MB, if you can call it one, is it has 4 RAM DIMMs vs the 6 that most X58 MBs have. It still supports triple channel memory though and chances are, 6GB will be plenty for the life of the system and you can easily go with a 3x2GB kit. In fact, if anything, I feel it offers an adequate amount of DIMMs and frees up space around the CPU by not having 6.

Here's a pic I pieced together with that MB showing that the Forte should fit on it fine and still leave room for dual SLI with 2 dual slot GPUs and even room for an open PCI slot as well if you want to eventually install a more audiophile grade sound card, TV tuner card, etc. As you can see in the pic, the Forte, if mounted in the 2nd to top Pci-Ec slot (highlighted in yellow on green line) it will clear the north bridge heatsink (blue aluminum part that says GIGABYTE on it).

Even if it doesn't align below the small chip to the right of the north bridge (highlighted in yellow), it's of no consequence because the Pci-Ex slot the sound card is shown mounted in is easily as tall as that chip and the mounting edge of the sound card sticks up well beyond the slot it mounts in as you can see in the bottom edge of the sound card pic as the difference in height between the gold contact points and the edge of the card.

gbmb864.jpg

This pic shows the room for the sound card above the first Pci-Ex GPU slot (blue) and the bottom PCI slot being still open even after the two dual slot GPUs are installed, which would only cover the orange slot and the 2nd to bottom PCI slot. gbmb.jpg

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#6 9 years ago

I'm not going to price it for you, because it's late, but throw all this into a cart on Newegg and see what it comes to.

HAF 932 Case (owned) Core i7 920 Processor Domino ALC CPU cooler 6GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz EVGA X58 LE motherboard 2x EVGA GTX 285 (I'd wait for as long as you can though, so you can step up to the 380s) 128GB SSD 2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint 1000W Thermaltake Toughpower/PC Power & Cooling/Corsair Asus (? I think) Xonar sound card) Random optical drive Windows 7 64 bit RC.

Should start you off nicely.