LaughingCheese

Behold the Power of CHEESE!!!

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Is MSI any good? Because for the price the GX620 looks awesome: Newegg.com - MSI GX620-001US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo P8400(2.26GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory 320GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT - Laptops / Notebooks

And I'm not out to play all the newest games on ultra high. I just want to be able to play C&C3:KW and BF2/BF2142.

Also does anyone know if you get the OS and not just a recovery disc, like if you need to reformat?

One reviewer said that Vista was installed on a 45GB partition!! Does it really need that much space??????

Thanks

LC

Junk angel

Huh, sound?

166,880 XP

29th January 2007

0 Uploads

15,678 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Well I've got a 630 and till now, totally content with it :) Just be sure to get a ralink drivers from the ralink website, as the default ones were a bit bugged.

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
wraithcat;4743413Well I've got a 630 and till now, totally content with it :) Just be sure to get a ralink drivers from the ralink website, as the default ones were a bit bugged.

Coolness. Thanks. :)

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

By the time you've added a few of the more...heavyweight programs (e.g. MS Office, Adobe CS or the odd game), I'd say 45GB is about right. If you don't use software like that then no you don't need that much, but there's nothing to stop you using that space to store other stuff - it's not just for Vista.

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago
Bs|Archaon;4743438By the time you've added a few of the more...heavyweight programs (e.g. MS Office, Adobe CS or the odd game), I'd say 45GB is about right. If you don't use software like that then no you don't need that much, but there's nothing to stop you using that space to store other stuff - it's not just for Vista.

I see. Thanks.

Junk angel

Huh, sound?

166,880 XP

29th January 2007

0 Uploads

15,678 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago
Also does anyone know if you get the OS and not just a recovery disc, like if you need to reformat?

As to this, I'm not completely sure. Depends on the seller. For instance most MSI's that sell here, only have freedos installed on them and you have to buy the OS yourself. Generally though, if the laptop comes preinstalled, most companies just give you the restore disk, which reinstalls the OS from a hidden partition.

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago
wraithcat;4743460As to this, I'm not completely sure. Depends on the seller. For instance most MSI's that sell here, only have freedos installed on them and you have to buy the OS yourself.

Oh wow, what does that mean? Like what if I get it from Newegg or Amazon?

I mean like what if I wanted to replace the HDD the OS is on, could I take that out, put the new one in and install the OS on that one?

Oh, and would you have any idea what this guy is saying in his review? He's the ONLY reviewer so far. He's complaining about the sound being 'very low' and that one of his usb ports is defective or something. :Puzzled:

Also does having the Intel cpu on the 620 really make that much of a difference from the AMD cpu on the 630?

Thanks a lot!

LC

Junk angel

Huh, sound?

166,880 XP

29th January 2007

0 Uploads

15,678 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago

Well what does either newegg or amazon say? Do they list the notebook as having anything preinstalled or not.

As for opening laptops - most of them have a sort of sticker and removing it can void your warranty.

So you should get someone to install the HDD.

As to sound - remember that notebooks don't have any totally dedicated high qual speakers. Still those on the 630 aren't that bad. Better than laptop average.

And not sure if the 620 has it, but one of my 3 USB ports shares the esata port. So took a while to figure it out. Maybe the person didn't notice that yet :P

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

From what I've heard MSI makes good laptops. Certainly better than HP or compaq.

LaughingCheese

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

1,100 Posts

0 Threads

#10 10 years ago

wraithcat;4743591Well what does either newegg or amazon say? Do they list the notebook as having anything preinstalled or not.

As for opening laptops - most of them have a sort of sticker and removing it can void your warranty.

So you should get someone to install the HDD.[/quote]

Oh, does that go for all laptops, i.e., self install not recommended?

And not sure if the 620 has it, but one of my 3 USB ports shares the esata port. So took a while to figure it out. Maybe the person didn't notice that yet :P

Ah I see, funny. :p

Oh, and is your 630 red? I don't mind the silver, but the red would be nice.

[quote=kow_ciller;4743600]From what I've heard MSI makes good laptops. Certainly better than HP or compaq.

I see, thanks. I just asked a friend of mine today, he said they make very reliable hardware.