random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#1 1 year ago

As a layman user of tech and the internets, what all can I do that is technically legal, easy and free that makes me essentially invisible online, leaves no footprints and makes sure nobody can get important data like credit card numbers? Seriously, I only have an antivirus and the OS firewall.

And the solution can't boil down to, "Don't use the internet." This is because sometimes even not trying to visit bad sites, google results can lead to some of them and I won't know the site is infected unless my AV says that and blocks it. By taking security measures, I want to avoid the attempts of a novice h4x0r who wants to take me for a ride because I vexed them IRL and didn't figure them out to be so 1337. I also do not want some G-Man to show up wanting to take me for interrogation because my data packets were going all loopy or there was suddenly a wall somewhere they didn't expect one to be (they shouldn't know there is any wall in the first place, if possible), the very same G-Man who would arrest me as a terrorist because I am brown and participating in a discussion about gun ethics or something of that sort.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#2 1 year ago

A good VPN if you don't mind the monthly fee but if you're short on dinero, Then go dick picks;  Government Spooks hate dick pics.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#3 1 year ago

Go to great lengths to make sure there is NOTHING on the internet that can trace back to you. So:

1: NO photos. Ever. 2: Use fake names when you sign up on websites. 3: Use fake birth dates when you sign up on websites. 4: No Facebook. Ever.

And then comes the tech things. 1: Make sure you have MULTIPLE adblockers running simultaneously. 2: If you have Firefox, make sure you are running Ghostery.

And then, there is the "Well duh" things. 1: Don't say you want to assassinate Donald Trump, or any other President for that matter, not even as a joke. 2: Don't start posting a bunch of conspiracy theories, especially the ones that involve the government.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#4 1 year ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"A good VPN if you don't mind the monthly fee but if you're short on dinero, Then go dick picks;  Government Spooks hate dick pics. [/quote]

Aren't there free VPN services? Google search shows a few of them. I believe I used a program called Hotspot Shield while I was in China during 2007-09, which is when the Chinese government blocked Youtube. I used that program to access it, though since I don't know how VPNs work, I am not sure if it was because of that or because of something else about it.

Also dick pics how? I don't know how to dump'em on someone intruding on my connection. Besides isn't that counterintuitive? "So many dick pics! What are you hiding?"

"Lindale"Go to great lengths to make sure there is NOTHING on the internet that can trace back to you. So:

1: NO photos. Ever. 2: Use fake names when you sign up on websites. 3: Use fake birth dates when you sign up on websites. 4: No Facebook. Ever.

1. No photos of me around. 2. Username or in sign up details? I have done the latter sometimes, though I don't use anything other than my email with any regularity. 3. I have given my real birth date and pretty much the same as no.2 goes for it. 4. I had one once but I deleted it. Does that count?

[quote="Lindale"]And then comes the tech things. 1: Make sure you have MULTIPLE adblockers running simultaneously. 2: If you have Firefox, make sure you are running Ghostery.

1. But that just blocks ads. How does that help?     Besides aren't there legit websites that just shut you out because you are using adblockers? How do I get around that?

2. Isn't that mostly blocking out tracking cookies? I have my Firefox set to never remember history including blocking out cookies. Does that fulfill the same function?

Also, do you guys have anything to say about Tor? I learned about it on a reddit thread and decided to skim the wikipedia article on it.

Lord Rumpuss V VIP Member

Follow A Paranoid

186,730 XP

25th November 2006

0 Uploads

18,518 Posts

0 Threads

#5 1 year ago

The free VPN's are usually hit and miss. (Either they are legit or are partially phishing you)

With dick picks you can always cry white male sexist pig meddling in your BBC appreciation.

Signature brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#6 1 year ago

"random_soldier1337" 1. No photos of me around. 2. Username or in sign up details? I have done the latter sometimes, though I don't use anything other than my email with any regularity. 3. I have given my real birth date and pretty much the same as no.2 goes for it. 4. I had one once but I deleted it. Does that count?

1. But that just blocks ads. How does that help?     Besides aren't there legit websites that just shut you out because you are using adblockers? How do I get around that?

2. Isn't that mostly blocking out tracking cookies? I have my Firefox set to never remember history including blocking out cookies. Does that fulfill the same function?

Also, do you guys have anything to say about Tor? I learned about it on a reddit thread and decided to skim the wikipedia article on it.

* I mean the sign up details. When I sign up on a website, I always use a fake name on the sign up form.

* Just like using fake names, using a fake birth date is another great thing to do. In my case, numbers are not my thing, so I just have one date that I use on everything.

* Deleting your Facebook does count, because you finally learned that you should never have had it in the first place.

* Having ad blockers helps because Google owns most of the ad sites, and gives you different ads based on what you do online. Say you spend a few hours reading about Hawaii. Next thing you know, you start seeing ads about Hawaii vacations.

* Most sites just bollock you for having an adblocker, but you are still able to use the site. I have no problems with the Skyrim Nexus, and Youtube never says anything at all.

* Ghostery indeed does block tracking cookies. So while adblockers block the result, Ghostery blocks the cause. Blocking both the cause AND the result is overkill, but you cannot afford to be too careful when privacy is your primary concern. Best of all, Ghostery remembers all the trackers it encounters, and automatically blocks them on any other site where it encounters them. Soon, it is a completely hands-off operation.

* Having Firefox block cookies is sort of a parallel thing. It is the equivalent of how I told you to have multiple adblockers going simultaneously. Having them both running means that one might block something the other misses.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#7 1 year ago

"Lord Rumpuss V"The free VPN's are usually hit and miss. (Either they are legit or are partially phishing you)

With dick picks you can always cry white male sexist pig meddling in your BBC appreciation.[/quote]

How do I do that? Taking a dick pic dump on whoever is meddling in my affairs?

"Lindale"[quote="random_soldier1337"] 1. No photos of me around. 2. Username or in sign up details? I have done the latter sometimes, though I don't use anything other than my email with any regularity. 3. I have given my real birth date and pretty much the same as no.2 goes for it. 4. I had one once but I deleted it. Does that count?

* I mean the sign up details. When I sign up on a website, I always use a fake name on the sign up form.

* Just like using fake names, using a fake birth date is another great thing to do. In my case, numbers are not my thing, so I just have one date that I use on everything.

* Deleting your Facebook does count, because you finally learned that you should never have had it in the first place.

* Having ad blockers helps because Google owns most of the ad sites, and gives you different ads based on what you do online. Say you spend a few hours reading about Hawaii. Next thing you know, you start seeing ads about Hawaii vacations.

* Most sites just bollock you for having an adblocker, but you are still able to use the site. I have no problems with the Skyrim Nexus, and Youtube never says anything at all.

* Ghostery indeed does block tracking cookies. So while adblockers block the result, Ghostery blocks the cause. Blocking both the cause AND the result is overkill, but you cannot afford to be too careful when privacy is your primary concern. Best of all, Ghostery remembers all the trackers it encounters, and automatically blocks them on any other site where it encounters them. Soon, it is a completely hands-off operation.

* Having Firefox block cookies is sort of a parallel thing. It is the equivalent of how I told you to have multiple adblockers going simultaneously. Having them both running means that one might block something the other misses.

But my email has my real name and birth date. What do I do?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Change them, if you are able.

Also, what site it is? If it is gmail, your user agreement says they can track what you do. So we find ourselves back at that square. The one and ONLY reason I have a gmail account at all is for Youtube. For everything else, use another site.

Once you do that, then we get into what each email account is for. * Professional account: That is self-explanatory. As we all know, this is for work stuff only. * Personal account: Amazon shopping should direct here, because this is the email on your bank account. * Dummy account: This is used for all of your online accounts in general, whether that be Steam, online games (such as Elder Scrolls), or what have you. These should never direct to your real email, not even your personal one. So make an account that only exists for that specific purpose.

As for forums, that all depends on if you are staff. If not, direct those to your dummy email. If you are staff, such as I am here, then you may be better to direct that your personal email. At least that way, you would have a much better chance of seeing any notifications.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

452 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,039 Posts

5 Threads

#9 1 year ago

"Lindale"Change them, if you are able.

Also, what site it is? If it is gmail, your user agreement says they can track what you do. So we find ourselves back at that square. The one and ONLY reason I have a gmail account at all is for Youtube. For everything else, use another site.

Once you do that, then we get into what each email account is for. * Professional account: That is self-explanatory. As we all know, this is for work stuff only. * Personal account: Amazon shopping should direct here, because this is the email on your bank account. * Dummy account: This is used for all of your online accounts in general, whether that be Steam, online games (such as Elder Scrolls), or what have you. These should never direct to your real email, not even your personal one. So make an account that only exists for that specific purpose.

As for forums, that all depends on if you are staff. If not, direct those to your dummy email. If you are staff, such as I am here, then you may be better to direct that your personal email. At least that way, you would have a much better chance of seeing any notifications.

It's gmail. Should I try to change all my contacts and slowly abandon that account?

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,126 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#10 1 year ago

Yes.