I guess I have to upgrade... 3 replies

Please wait...

Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

My 11yo daughter who is unusually tech savvy, has observed me tinkering around with OCing my CPU in the past. She decided the other day that she would show me that she could do it too. The short version of this story is that my FX-60 is no more. Miraculously, the M/B survived her gremlin-esque attack but nevertheless I had to drop in my slightly older, slightly slower, single core 4000+. Here is my problem: I just recently bought a Gecube X1950XT for 270USD. Now that I have the 4000+ in, the performance difference between the Gecube and my older ATI AIW X800XT is not nearly as great. I could buy a new FX-60 on eBay for roughly 500USD (rediculous) or I could get an Opteron 185 (which is essentially the same thing except for the locked multiplier) for 330USD on Newegg. But if you add that up, 270USD for the Gecube AGP card and 330 for the CPU, that's $600! I could upgrade to PCIe for that! So I'm going to RMA the Gecube and do just that. I'm pretty much set on the board and CPU I'm going to get: EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR AM2 nForce 590 SLI & Athlon64 X2 5600+. I am sort of stuck on the VGA though. I'm used to AGP and not having many choices. The sheer volume of cards out there for PCIe is sort of overwhelming. Let's just say I have a VGA budget of $300. For example, I could get an EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked 320MB or a Radeon X1950XTX CF edition for $300. What does everyone recommend?




Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Between an 8800 and anything else, currently it's the 8800 hands down. However, the general consensus is that it might be worth waiting for the next generation of ATi graphics cards (i.e. the ones meant to compete with the 8800). Buying an 8800 certainly isn't a bad idea, but if memory serves the ATi cards are going to be released within a few weeks.

Personally in the price range you're talking about I'd go for an Intel Core 2 Duo setup. Something like a Gigabyte DS4 and an Intel E6400. Should be roughly the same price as what you're planning.

PS - Whether you go for an AMD AM2 or Intel 775 system, you're gonna need new DDR2 memory; which for 4gb will set you back roughly another $300. Sorry mate.

PPS - You can password the BIOS for a reason... :rolleyes:




Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

I aready have 2GB of OCZ DDR2 800 RAM out of a brand new custom rig from a guy I work with (he spilled coffee on it with the case OPEN). Tested the sticks and they still work. Gave him 50USD for them and figured (at the time) I could make a small profit on eBay. Good thing I haven't sold them huh? As far as BIOS passwords are concerned, I put them on all the PC's in my office but not at home... kind of ironic dont you think?




Kwould

OK, but wash it first

50 XP

24th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,537 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Does anyone else think I should wait for R600 or should I get something currently available? 300USD is my limit. (sorry for double post, it was too late to edit)