Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So with all the data mining going on in the world today, I wondered if there existed effective and easy to use means of logging groceries. I'm not sure what methods exist. I believe some companies are trying to equip consumer fridges with cameras and software to try to help out with the process, but I can't see them being very effective.

How 'bout a simpler method? The store you shop at knows exactly what you purchased because each and every item is coded in the store's database. Why not give access to what was purchased to the consumers through a mobile-capable website or app. It could simply keep a log of items purchased, purchase count, purchase location, purchase price, etc. Some work would need to be done to make the app convenient, but the data is already there. There's no user trying to manually create a log of everything that was purchased, it's just available and uploaded automatically for the user.

I think the trouble might be trying to get multiple different stores to unify logs in a way such that the user could use a single app for all stores, but I think that if companies were willing to make this information available through partnering with a small team of developers, it could be quite nice for the consumer.

Of course, this wouldn't log how much of an item you have left, but it would let you determine when the last time was that you purchased the item, allowing you to better estimate whether you need to buy said item if you're not able to go home and check inventory before going shopping.

I know this is a kind of random topic, but I'm interested to know how many others have thought of the idea. It seems like a stupid obvious thing, yet as far as I'm aware, no one is doing this.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,371 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,521 Posts

1,748 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I'm PRETTY sure an app already exists that does this by scanning the barcode with the camera?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 2 years ago

"FileTrekker"I'm PRETTY sure an app already exists that does this by scanning the barcode with the camera?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps, but that requires 100% redundancy when it comes to scanning bar codes. The idea is to not make users of the app become cashiers, but to rather use the information already obtained by the cashier when you bought your food in the first place.