So, I've been having some trouble with the internet. In many ways it works fine. I can go online with IE or Firefox, Google Earth works, XFire works, and Steam works.
However, some programs can't connect to the internet. AIM and Spore both can't connect, but the weirdest problem is the clock. It can't seem to synchronize with any of the servers, so I had to manually set it. Any idea what the problem could be? As far as I can tell Window's firewall isn't blocking them or anything.
Is this an ethernet or wireless connection?
Have you updated your drivers for your network interface?
It's a wireless connection, and my drivers are updated. It just occurred to me that it could be some kind of problem with the network in the dorm, but the help desk isn't open this late so I wouldn't be able to find out till tomorrow.
Sounds like the ports are being blocked on the dorm. You can try the programs later or request that they're opened if you give them the port numbers and show them you're having problems (either that or they'll tell you to piss off)
Huzzah, I discovered the problem, or so it seems. When I reset the BIOS the other day the date was reset to 2003 and I didn't even realize it. Apparently the online certificate for AIM wasn't valid till recently, so it wouldn't let it connect. It was the same problem with the clock synchronization, which is a bit strange. I had to manually change the time to get the time to automatically update.
Heh. That reminds me of this one time I took out my motherboard battery to reset the BIOS after a botched overclock. I forgot to put the battery back in, so it couldn't keep track of time and reset itself to 1991 after every boot. =p