Is it possible to get a decent gaming laptop for under £400 8 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

268,769 XP

15th December 2002

77 Uploads

22,502 Posts

1,735 Threads

#1 2 months ago

Kinda desperate.

Need options.

Cheaper the better. XD

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Plokite_Wolf Game Admin

World's most disgruntled gamer

3,779 XP

6th September 2016

575 Uploads

276 Posts

20 Threads

#2 2 months ago

From a quick look, that price point won't help much.

You can look for the ASUS VivoBook X540 series, it's the only one with an nVidia card that I could find. It's 1.1 GHz quad-core and 4 GB RAM sounds rather poor, though.

Plokite_Wolf | Artist & Game Admin | GameFront.com

Last edited by Plokite_Wolf 2 months ago

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 2 months ago

I would guess that you're out of luck. I'm dodging your original question here, but is there a reason why you can't/don't want to pick up a console or used gaming PC instead? For that price range the performance will be far superior to what a laptop can give you.

If you're ok with something used, a quick ebay search for "alienware laptop" reveals a large number of surprisingly low-cost options with decent specs, at least here in the US. 

Last edited by Superfluous Curmudgeon 2 months ago

FileTrekker Über Admin

268,769 XP

15th December 2002

77 Uploads

22,502 Posts

1,735 Threads

#4 2 months ago

I have a decent gaming PC at home, it's just I am living away from home currently due to illness, and I can't bring a gaming PC here.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,963 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,002 Posts

6 Threads

#5 2 months ago

Depends on the games you want to play... a used laptop might be a good option. Larger and heavier are usually cheaper, so look in the 15-18 inch range. But for 400 it won't be a lot of fun. 

Might be a good time for a console or some mobile gaming? I hear the latest Nintendo does quite well, typically they have some decent JRPG games.

FileTrekker Über Admin

268,769 XP

15th December 2002

77 Uploads

22,502 Posts

1,735 Threads

#6 2 months ago

Well I have a Wii-U here to use so that's keeping me busy, and my surface can do some old / light games like Half Life 2 and Sonic Mania, although I am hoping it may run Two Point hospital. I am not too hopeful though.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#7 2 months ago
Posted by FileTrekker

I have a decent gaming PC at home, it's just I am living away from home currently due to illness, and I can't bring a gaming PC here.

I hope I didn't offend - my question took that into account but I was unsure if it was because you specifically needed a PC for the types of games you were wishing to play, or if you already had a console and didn't wanna waste money on a second, or because your steam library will not run on a console, etc.

Maybe time to pull out the classics (even more than you have)?  You can get KOTOR for mobile and it runs great on my Note 4 so I imagine it and similar era games would also run on your Surface. I'm not sure what genres you enjoy the most (shows how much I pay attention around here) so I can't name old games, but that's not what you're asking for. 

This  is extremely vague but it may tell you whether Two-Point Hospital would run on your Surface: https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/9eaopo/two_point_hospital_on_the_go/. The graphics on that game are so primitive that I'd expect it could run on a 2000-era PC but nobody optimizes their games for performance anymore...

Last edited by Superfluous Curmudgeon 2 months ago

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,963 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,002 Posts

6 Threads

#8 2 months ago

You could try playing some classics that you may have missed using dosbox or some emulator on the surface. Anyway, hope you get better soon!

FileTrekker Über Admin

268,769 XP

15th December 2002

77 Uploads

22,502 Posts

1,735 Threads

#9 2 months ago

Thanks both :)

The good news is Two-Point hospital seems to work just fine!