D3matt

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,552 Posts

0 Threads

#2 7 years ago

There's no such thing as a gaming router. Don't game wirelessly if you can at all avoid it, and I really don't think the router you get matters if you do.

Goody. VIP Member

Former Network Admin and Former Forum Admin

98,410 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,390 Posts

2 Threads

#3 7 years ago

All you should be concerned about is keeping it wired for gaming and in this day and age make sure you go with a router that supports 100/1000 if your running a home network. The days of 10/100 are over and you need the extra internal bandwidth if others are using the network.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#4 7 years ago

Honestly, you can run a 10mb router just fine. If your internet speed isn't over 10mbs there is no bottleneck unless you transfer huge files across your network. Gig networks are pointless unless you do lots of lan file transfers.

As for a "gaming router", it can somewhat be true. Usually routers marketed as gaming have more memory or a faster processor which can aid in routing if you have many computers on your network. But your best bet is to buy a reliable one that isn't overly expensive unless you want tons of control over the routing of your network.

D3matt

50 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,552 Posts

0 Threads

#5 7 years ago

Even for large file transfers you're probably limited by the NIC on the computer or the speed of your hard drive.

Goody. VIP Member

98,410 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,390 Posts

2 Threads

#6 7 years ago

All modern mother boards have the gig network cards and if you are going to replace your router then why not make sure it is the fastest it can be. I know a updated my network a couple of years ago as my network does a lot of work from home server feeding 2 media players, PS3, 4 computers and network radio so have the internal bandwidth to ensure there is no slow down on any of my equipment really helped and of a total cost of around £30 for 2 switches (cables were already inplace) it was worth it.

In short if you have or you are going to have a few things running on your network then there is no harm in making it faster especially if you are going to buy the equipment anyway. I know in the UK the fibre optic speeds are 40+ with gig connections being tested and rolled out so when that come to my area I am ready.

Goody. VIP Member

98,410 XP

26th July 2005

4 Uploads

8,390 Posts

2 Threads

#7 7 years ago

All modern mother boards have the gig network cards and if you are going to replace your router then why not make sure it is the fastest it can be. I know a updated my network a couple of years ago as my network does a lot of work from home server feeding 2 media players, PS3, 4 computers and network radio so have the internal bandwidth to ensure there is no slow down on any of my equipment really helped and of a total cost of around £30 for 2 switches (cat 5 cables were already inplace) it was worth it.

In short if you have or you are going to have a few things running on your network then there is no harm in making it faster especially if you are going to buy the equipment anyway. I know in the UK the fibre optic speeds are 40+ with gig connections being tested and rolled out so when that come to my area I am ready.

D3matt

50 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,552 Posts

0 Threads

#8 7 years ago

2 gigabit switches for £30? Please do tell.

Oh I see. You're talking just dumb switches. I already have 2 wireless Linksys WRT54G routers as wireless access point + switches + one as a router. I'd rather not have to add 2 more switches to that. And gigabit routers cost like $100 each.