Is the real future of VR in arcades? 1 reply

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,179 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,453 Posts

1,698 Threads

#1 1 year ago

This week, HTC promised to open 'Vive Arcades' in China, the US and Europe.

It seems to me that it makes more sense to pay for a more premium, rich VR experience, with various AR elements that can be provided such as wind, immersive sound, motion, and so forth, will make for a much better VR experience then spending hundreds of dollars on a home version, having nowhere practical to put it, then not getting the optimum experience.

For example, a theme park here in the UK, called Thorpe Park, has just opened a new ride, which is set on an old London Underground ride - the riders get aboard the train, then put on a Vive headset, and experience the rest of the ride in a form of AR - allowing lots of rather interesting and freeky possibilities. And because they're on a train and have the added sensations of genuine motion, sound, and so-forth, it makes for a particularly immersive experience.

I actually see this as a more exciting future for VR as opposed to home use.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,846 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,506 Posts

37 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Now, this is something I could see a future in. There are boundless opportunities for VR, but very few of them are actually as a home entertainment unit. Rather, I can see it being applied for teaching and "experiences" similar to a cinema. Maybe a hall for lasertag, where your environments and the other players are "projected" by the VR? Or, as in here, an experience?