Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

I'm an absolute laptop noob, so I'm hoping those of you in the know here can lemme know if this sounds worth it...

(quick back-story) So my girlfriend of 2 months gave me this Dell Latitude D820 laptop to spite her ex. He got it and another that she uses from his work, presumably unscrupulously, if you catch my drift. Now we are breaking up (amicably, long story), and I'd like to give her some money for it. I was thinking in the neighborhood of $400-500 (USD). Looking up this laptop online, I know it sold for $1500-$2400 new (1.5-2 yrs ago). This unit also hasn't been used much at all (essentially new). I know it's more of a business person laptop than a gaming one like I desire, but the ones I desire are in the $1500-2000 range, so that ain't happening soon.

It seems this laptop isn't the stock model either. Here's the specs on it:

Specs: Intel Core Duo T2400 (1.83 GHz) 2GB Samsung DDR2-533 (1x 2GB; 1 slot still free) Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M (GeForce Go 7400) 512MB 80GB Fujitsu HDD (SATA, 5400rpm) CD/DVD combo drive

Networking: wifi: Intel 3945ABG EV-DO wireless WAN Internal Toshiba Bluetooth + EDR wifi network available indicator (when laptop is off)

ports, jacks & slots: 4-pin FireWire, VGA, infrared, serial, 4x USB 2.0 ports (one = half USB port, half power jack); 56Kbps modem, Gigabit Ethernet, headphone/mic jacks; and one each slots for Type II PC Cards, Express Cards, & Smart Cards

Battery life is typically 4-5 hrs

Why do I want it and what for? 1. I don't have a laptop 2. Web Browsing, Word Processing 3. I don't have a laptop 4. Watching movies when on the road, plane, etc. 5. I don't have a laptop 6. Light gaming (i.e. - older stuff, pre-2005; so I'm not expecting any miracles here)

As I said, I intend to give her $400-500 for it, and she is fine with that. So, should I pull the trigger or should I just give it back to her?

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Well, that really depends, your breaking up right (sorry to hear) but would she rather the laptop back, or you pay for it, in essence, what you need to aim to do is still keep her happy despite your face (or in other words, despite your losses (being the laptop)) Anyways, more over, for what you want it to do, it'll do just fine, other then the gaming part, you only said pre 2005, which is a sheit load of games that won't run (EG, BF2) But for everything else it should do fine, the Ram is nice, the CPU is borderline crummy, but will do, the HDD is rather small now-a-days but that depends on if you movies will be DVD based or HDD based I personally would ask her what she wants most, the laptop, or the money.

Oblivious

I tawt I taw a puddy tat...

50 XP

30th December 2002

0 Uploads

2,806 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago
Sgt. D. Pilla;4241164 I personally would ask her what she wants most, the laptop, or the money.

She wants the money, no doubt. She already has a Latitude D620 which she uses all the time and has no interest in using this one nor keeping it.

As far as the games I may try on it, I suspect Half-Life 2 might be the most advanced thing I try to run on it. BF2? Nah. Doubtful that would be playable at all. BF1942? Now there's an idea...

Movies will likely go on the HDD in avi format to save battery life (so as not to use the dvd drive). Though 80GB won't hold much, so I imagine it will only be a small collection of flicks that I frequently change.

On a side note, we're breaking up so I can try to woo my estranged wife again, whom I separated from 6 months ago. So, really, it's a good thing. ;)

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#4 9 years ago

The laptop is cool. I purchase a new from dell. However, The battery of running time is too low. I bought new one from Discount dell d820 Battery ,6600mah from www.batterygoshop.co.uk . Does anyone have this problem?