Is this the beastliest laptop ever? 13 replies

Please wait...

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

267,405 XP

15th December 2002

48 Uploads

22,460 Posts

1,702 Threads

#1 2 years ago

From ASUS, it features GTX 1080 SLI (Yes, in a notebook) and includes a special docking station that will water cool the machine when it's docked.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ROG-GX800VH/

• i7 6820HK
  • up to 64 GB SDRAM
  • 18.4"  LED backlit, UHD (3840x2160), 60Hz, 100% Adobe IPS, G-Sync
  • GTX 1080 SLI 
  • 512GB PCIE Gen3X4 SSD (RAID0)
  • 76 Whrs Battery
  • 5.7 kg with Battery
  • No price yet $$

And even though it looks super bulky, it's pretty good looking. If I had money to piss on a gaming laptop, this'd definitely be it.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

Those new Pascal mobile GPUs are impressive. Mobile gaming was limited to low to medium quality settings for a long time unless you bought some super expensive niche products. But the current generation of gaming laptops seems to be able to play current games at 4k settings with 30+ FPS.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#3 2 years ago

When do y'all reckon something like this will come to the "less well supplied" nations like in East Europe or the Indian subcontinent (retail, not online)? Or for that matter how about just a laptop with even a single lower end pascal (gtx 1060?)?

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#4 2 years ago

The gtx1060 is supposed to replace the gtx970m, which was upper middle class. So right now there are no lower end mobile pascal GPUs. They'll probably be released later this year.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Well then what about the kinds of machines originally posted? When are they going to get to those places?

Also I meant to say that, just to point out that the laptop doesn't have to be super high end (which we never get here on retail) but an okay range with a similar but less powerful setup.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#6 2 years ago

Laptops with the 1060 have just been announced at the Gamescom, so they are either available or being shipped in September in Western Europe. As for availability elsewhere you'll have to check with your local shops. In theory they could have them available right now. Could also be that they are never going to be available in retail if the local market isn't interested.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Yeah that last point you made seems to be the case here. At least last when I checked. It was forever ago but I don't know if and why things would have changed. People are probably suckers for terrible deals here, regarding tech, so the businesses just milk them. What would probably be an ~800 Euro setup there would be sold as what is roughly equivalent to 3000 Euros over here, as a starting point.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,839 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,998 Posts

6 Threads

#8 2 years ago

In my experience you can buy tech built for the western market for more or less the same price (that's Eastern Europe) in larger retail store chains. Due to lower purchasing power of the local currency that still translates into a price that few people can afford though.

The best solution for you is probably to find a friend or relative travelling to the US and ask them to buy the laptop for you. That might involve some import tax though.

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

411 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,038 Posts

4 Threads

#9 2 years ago

"MrFancypants"In my experience you can buy tech built for the western market for more or less the same price (that's Eastern Europe) in larger retail store chains. Due to lower purchasing power of the local currency that still translates into a price that few people can afford though.

The best solution for you is probably to find a friend or relative travelling to the US and ask them to buy the laptop for you. That might involve some import tax though.

My plan exactly. I've got family posted in the Eastern Europe region. Just clearing things up since I'm not sure I would always have frequent opportunities of the kind.

Anyway, would "Harvey-Norman" count as a "large retail store chain"? I assume it's got to be pretty big since it's based in Australia but has spread out all the way to Eastern Europe.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,341 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,847 Posts

213 Threads

#10 2 years ago

Where can I buy it.

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer