Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I seem to be having more glitches and bits of the OS breaking far more frequently and more seriously than any other Windows operating system I've had in the past. After having Windows 8 installed on my machine for about 2.5-3 years with no issues at all, I got a bigger SSD and installed Windows 10. Everything was smooth running for maybe 8 months before my start menu randomly broke. It just wouldn't open. Then a Windows update fixed it. A few weeks to a month later, I updated my  GPU drivers, but the installation seemed to freeze up so after 10 minutes or so I canceled it. Upon restarting my computer, Windows would not boot. Not normally, not to any of the safe mode options without GPU drivers, natta. Repair and re-install attempts didn't work either so I had to re-partition and start from scratch.

Everything was ok with the new installation, but fast-forward 6 months and now when I log into  Windows, my taskbar (and maybe all of Windows Explorer?) freezes. When I click on it, nothing happens for a few seconds, then a message comes up notifying my it has crashed (Windows Explorer, I assume) and I have to force end it. Windows Explorer automatically restarts itself and everything works for the remainder of the time the PC is on, but this sort of thing shouldn't be happening with such an "advanced" OS. I am sort of missing Windows 8 right now. Seriously considering switching to Linux for everything but gaming once I'm done with school. There are more and more things going against staying Microsoft as time goes on.

But I wanna know your experiences with this latest OS. Am I just an oddball case, or are you noticing a lot more random issues with W10 than with  the past few OS releases?

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,400 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Well, Microsoft did layoff their entire QA and turned it's customers into beta testers so this isn't surprising at all.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#3 1 year ago

In your case, you had Windows 8, so Windows 10 genuinely was an upgrade.

As for those of us still on 7, we are better to stay where we are.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I suspected laying off the Q/A team might have some *minor* negative effects down the road, but you know, the company was struggling for money and needed to save a bit, right?

"Lindale"In your case, you had Windows 8, so Windows 10 genuinely was an upgrade.

As for those of us still on 7, we are better to stay where we are.

I'm not sure what all the W8 hate has been about. The lack of the start menu was a bit annoying, but it turned into me just typing in the program I was looking for.

Lindale Forum Mod

Mister Angry Rules Guy

241,122 XP

1st February 2010

0 Uploads

23,429 Posts

2 Threads

#5 1 year ago

It was a phone OS ported onto the PC. Imagine the Windows Phone ported onto the PC. That is what Windows 8 was. It should have stayed on the Windows Phone, where it belonged.

filesnation_by_lindale_ff-da1kplo.png

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#6 1 year ago

More unstable than Windows 8, potentially. Not more than Windows 7, though. I've had far fewer issues with Windows 10, than I had with Windows 7. Who can forget the unfixable glitch where you couldn't open new windows because Explorer decided to break? 

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,293 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 1 year ago

I do like Windows 10, but every time one of these major updates rolls around, the most recent being Creators Update, shit breaks.

Minor things that I can fix, but I can imagine consumers get frustrated by it.

And they are rolling these things out with bugs. For example, since this upgrade, Hey Cortana seems to just activate itself at random now, so I have had to turn that off, any Flash based programs crash the graphics display hard on my Surface 3 in Microsoft Edge, and I know that RAL has had a plethora of issues with not even being able to play games in fullscreen.

The last update had huge problems, for example, people with logitech webcans not even being able to use them for months, and major power management issues on Surface Book, their own product.

So while I like a lot of the new features in the latest update, especially the one that uses bluetooth paired with my phone to know if I am near my PC then lock it when I walk away, and the night time screen mode, they aren't getting all the bugs via insider testing, and by releasing what is essentially an entirely new version of Windows every 6 months, they need to tighten up their ship if they're going to continue down this path.

Cause right now, if I was an enterprise, I'd be fucking shitting myself about it.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

Nittany Tiger Forum Mod

*Shrug*

289,107 XP

15th September 2004

0 Uploads

27,136 Posts

0 Threads

#8 1 year ago

I'm waiting for the update that turns off mandatory updates/restarts and stops making me scared that Windows is going to be as closed-off as Apple PCs?  I feel MS is trying to get a stranglehold on the PC for business interests with with UWP and how it handles Windows 10.

I don't trust billion-dollar corporations with anything more than selling me a product or service.