NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#1 2 years ago

Just wondering, because this has been driving me crazy; has anybody else had a problem with the last few versions of NVidia's GeForce drivers? I'm running a GTX960 and the system was stable, until I installed the drivers they released late early April. Since then I've been getting tiny stutters when watching videos (not often), but also outright system freezes that require hard reboots during gameplay. It has been driving me crazy, because I end up losing progress in games (plus, hard reboots are never a good thing) and I was wondering if anybody else has been having similar issues.

I will rollback to the early March drivers (364.51), which was the last version I remember the system being stable on, but I'm not entirely sure it will fix anything.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,237 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I've not had any issues (that I've noticed).

Did you do an uninstall with DDU and then clean install of the drivers?

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

No and it occurs to me that the express install from GeForce Experience may be more trouble than it's worth. I may do that.

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,726 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

793 Posts

9 Threads

#4 2 years ago

When I "upgraded" to Windows 10 I was getting all sorts of graphical artifacts and flickers on my screens. Some games did not start. I upgraded to version 364.51 a few months ago and things have been running fine since. I haven't tried newer drivers than that though.

unic0rn

50 XP

2nd May 2016

0 Uploads

239 Posts

0 Threads

#5 2 years ago

they have to urge people to buy their new and shiny gtx 1080.

that, or it's just a coincidence and you've overclocked your gpu to near-death.

or nvidia fucked up their drivers. AGAIN.

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#6 2 years ago

I personally haven't overclocked.

Sort-of-update:

I did a clean install of earlier drivers and my system ran into an old problem, where it automatically resets; it has been a problem since the day I bought the thing and I have yet to solve it. This caused two resets while playing FFXIII, after which my PoS mobo returned with a 'corrupted bios' message. After it restored default settings, Windows 10 decided that there was something wrong with my WIndows installation and went back to the previous restore point. Which was right after I had finished installing Windows. Two months ago.

After losing a good chunk of my work and tearing down the walls of my house with unparalleled rage, I said 'fuck it' and went back to Windows 7, simply because Win10 has the nasty habit of not asking the user if they want to do something; if seasoned users disliked Windows because they found it too much of a closed system before, an OS that takes liberties all the time is just a major no-no for me. Once back in Windows 7, I installed the latest drivers; it was a clean install in a clean WIndows installation.

The problem is back. Some games (FFXIII so far, it happened with Bloodrayne before as well) freeze and require a hard reset. I'm leaning towards NVidia fucking up their drivers.

Jeff is a mean boss

565,237 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#7 2 years ago

"unic0rn"they have to urge people to buy their new and shiny gtx 1080.

Or he has a specific install issue or conflict. He's now stating he's had mobo/bios issues. Those can cause all kinds of issues.

I always install the latest nvidia drivers when they come out, I have had zero issues with any of them.

Chribolski VIP Member

No chance, you metal bastard

211 XP

17th August 2010

0 Uploads

1,258 Posts

2 Threads

#8 2 years ago
"RadioActiveLobster"

"unic0rn"they have to urge people to buy their new and shiny gtx 1080.

Or he has a specific install issue or conflict. He's now stating he's had mobo/bios issues. Those can cause all kinds of issues.

I always install the latest nvidia drivers when they come out, I have had zero issues with any of them.

to be fair, unicorn represents a biased opinion where regards nVidia.

MCFC OK!

Jeff is a mean boss

565,237 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,113 Posts

1,329 Threads

#9 2 years ago

"Chribolski"

to be fair, unicorn represents a biased opinion where regards nVidia.

Yeah, I'm well aware of unic0rn's raging hardon of hate for nvidia.

NeoRanger

The Curse of Snake

50 XP

29th August 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#10 2 years ago
He's now stating he's had mobo/bios issues. Those can cause all kinds of issues.

The issues I previously attributed to the mobo, after all, may had been originating from the RAM. I replaced two of the three sticks and I haven't had an issue since then, though I still can't be definitively certain, as the behavior is unpredictable.

I also haven't had any more freezes with the latest driver version (released this past week), though I haven't done extensive testing yet. I checked up with someone else who has been having issues and they rolled back to a version from two months ago or so and their system seems to be stable now as well.

It happens, software and low-level coding can be wonky from system to system.