Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

Hey Lads, Formatted my system just 2 days ago to give Vista x64 a go, It was fine other then my WIFI which didn't have stable drivers still! Grr stupid Asus! So I formatted again back to 32bit Vista, only this time I get mouse lag, as in, I aim for one thing, it jumps to another, Using TskMgr to check the CPU usage, its only a single core being used to max (So you know, 54%~) Now this usage is mainly when Windows Updates is running, but I still get the 'lag' when the cpu is idle....

I know a capacitor on my motherboard has fallen off a few weeks ago now, and Im still trying to have it warranted, but without formatting my system AGAIN which quite frankly would be my first port of call since it was literally only 30 minutes ago I restarted to install GPU drivers :lol:.... Anyways, my CPU should not be lagging like it is, especially not doing anything, and tbh, so far, Im less then slightly impressed with the CPU in most all cases, I should have gotten the E8500... Anyways, the system is in my sig, with a few minor changes to the HDD setup... 2*250GB Seagate SATAII 1*320GB Seagate SATAII 1*250GB c/ the 320GB Seagates in hardware raid 0 (Stripped) If I dont figure out the problem soon, I'll format tomorrow and start again

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Excuse me a moment while I stare at you blankly. A capacitor fell off your motherboard and you've carried on using it? Looking for an excuse to upgrade? Run CPU-Z and tell us what it's reporting for Vcore.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Actually no, I don't wanna upgrade the mobo just yet, I only just got it lol I am going to try to warrant it soon..I've been trying to push my store the one I always buy from "MSY" to get them instock, but they won't they have no interest in warranting the mobo...anyways, thats another story... By VCore I assume you mean the Core Voltage, which is on

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Can I mock you for having a slow CPU? ;) Anyway, that much is irrelevant. Next question: can you get a photo (in context) of the missing cap? I recently discovered that one supremely easy-to-diagnose symptom of too little voltage is your CPU deciding to peg itself for no good reason. In my experience (with a Conroe), it only affects core0 for some reason, but that one will just sit there and chug. I was hoping CPUZ would be more useful. Apparently not, and I assume it's just reading what the BIOS reports. If the cap that fell off is part of the voltage circuitry, however, that might be the source of your problem. Did this problem start at the same time you broke the board?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

Yeah I thought it sounded strange you were continuing to use th MB after a cap fell off too. My first inclination was shut it down to make sure the CPU and anything else plugged in doesn't get damaged.

RadioShackRob

Radio Shack, Do Shit

50 XP

30th October 2007

0 Uploads

725 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

Obvious answer to my stupid question, yes, but I still must post this. It still works?! LOL! This amazes me. Take care of the board first, and eliminate what appears to be the obvious possibility of your problem.

kais246

Once known as Member 167465.

50 XP

21st February 2007

0 Uploads

465 Posts

0 Threads

#7 10 years ago

I would in your case be showing your avitar to the mobo.... Well i would assume that its the capaciters problem (or lack there of...:rolleyes:) I suppose you should do the stadard things...virus/spywear scan tho i doubt that will help :uhm:

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#8 10 years ago
kais246I would in your case be showing your avitar to the mobo....

:lol:

The motherboard in my old Dell died because the caps started leaking, swelled up, and eventually just died. I can only imagine the problems caused by one falling off.

So I formatted again back to 32bit Vista, only this time I get mouse lag, as in, I aim for one thing, it jumps to another, Using TskMgr to check the CPU usage, its only a single core being used to max (So you know, 54%~)

That sounds very similar to what C38368 described.

Sgt. D. Pilla

Uber Geek

50 XP

23rd October 2007

0 Uploads

3,473 Posts

0 Threads

#9 10 years ago

I will photo the cap for you maybe tomorrow, Its a tiny tiny one, and I havn't noticed any issues caused by it missing, even after near 2months without it ;) The whole thing is, I am getting it warranted, just wating for my homo homo GRRR GRR store to get another in stock, they don't order in parts for customers GRR! Anyways, I got bored earlier so I formatted again 4th time this week lol, back to 64bit, and havn't had driver issues near as bad as I did first time around, This time I installed drivers "Properly" the driver causing issues was my Asus WIFI driver, this time around I installed the driver first, then the device, and its working fine....so far atleast.... So hurrah for 64bit Vista! As for that cap, I have it infront of me...atleast I did oh no, that means no warranty unless I find it...:S I hope i didn't vacume it up! Anyways, it was a tinnnny one, and going by the Mobo box, its only used if I use DES, "Dynamic Energy Saving" they are advertising DES with the same Cap as the one that came off... And no C3, you can't mock me for having a slow CPU, its the second best Core 2 Duo CPU avalible, E8400, can't be beat other then by the E8500, 3.0GHz Per Core, with 6MB L2 total, its quite an impressive CPU...just pisses me off, because intel havn't updated their Slot Architectures, so the E8### are slowed and noticable lag, because of the slot, unlike AMD who updated their architectures often