Laptop Malfunction 6 replies

Please wait...

Flash525

The Carbon Comrade

50 XP

14th July 2004

0 Uploads

15,103 Posts

0 Threads

#1 9 years ago

My Dad has an ACER Laptop. Has had it for over a year now, and I can't say we've had many problems with it (other than it being a bit slow, though with 512 Ram, that may be the reason why). Anyway, lately (over the past week or so) we've been having this problem with it. We'll turn it on, and after roughly half an hour (or before), it'll simply shut itself off. The power is usually plugged in, so we know the battery isn't dying. We've ran antivirus checks before, and it hasn't picked up any dodgy content. Generally, I'd like to think we're pretty organised when it comes to protecting our computers and such. I've done a system restore to a the beginning on June (this problem started late last week, being the end of June), though we've not had any luck. We still get the same problem. It just shuts off. No warning, no pausing or freezing nothing. It just goes dead. Upon restart we get a blue window which says the hard drive is being checked and such, but nothing I can see that would result in this situation. Anyone got any suggestions?




Mastershroom VIP Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#2 9 years ago

Sounds like the power supply on the motherboard may have come disconnected.




*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#3 9 years ago

The way he's describing it, it sounds like it's happened a few times, not that it's happened once. From that, I'd think it's an overheating issue. I'm not sure why this would suddenly happen, but that was my first thought.

Next time you turn your laptop on, about five minutes before it's due to shut off (if you can predict it that accurately) put your hand next to the vent at the back/side, and see how hot the air coming out is.

If it's crazy hot, you've got an overheating issue. If it's just warm... I'm stumped. =p




Babeman

A dog+sombrero=awesome.

50 XP

11th August 2008

0 Uploads

487 Posts

0 Threads

#4 9 years ago

The_Daedalus;4936401The way he's describing it, it sounds like it's happened a few times, not that it's happened once. From that, I'd think it's an overheating issue. I'm not sure why this would suddenly happen, but that was my first thought.

Next time you turn your laptop on, about five minutes before it's due to shut off (if you can predict it that accurately) put your hand next to the vent at the back/side, and see how hot the air coming out is.

If it's crazy hot, you've got an overheating issue. If it's just warm... I'm stumped. =p

That's what I was thinking. All motherboards usually have a safety feature that will just shut everything off when a certain temperature is reached. If it is a temperature problem, then you can reseat/repaste the cpu heatsink in the laptop (which would be very tough since it's a laptop, but worth a shot).




Guest

I didn't make it!

0 XP

 
#5 9 years ago

You may want to open the shell up and blow the thing out (though you should be careful about it, not to damage anything with the high-pressure air). I'm not sure if laptops have temperatures sensors like PC's do, but if they do, HWmonitor would adequately monitor your temperatures. If it's not a temperature problem, I'd go to say that the Power supply is overheating, dying, or being overloaded. I'm clueless as to how to test it on a laptop though.




Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,585 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#6 9 years ago

Probably is overheating, more specifically the CPU overheating.


"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.



*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#7 9 years ago
The Soleutator;4936561You may want to open the shell up and blow the thing out (though you should be careful about it, not to damage anything with the high-pressure air).

I would have suggested this, but sticking your hand behind your computer has less chance of screwing something up, espcially if it isn't a heat issue.