Aliblista(UK)

Wayne brady bitches!

50 XP

18th March 2005

0 Uploads

499 Posts

0 Threads

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, been away for a long time but come back to get some of that excellent filefront advice.

Essentially I've blown the crappy satellites of my Z2300 2.1 system and can't bring myself to chuck the fully working subwoofer. The woofer is the best part of this system so I was hoping to use it with some 3rd party passive monitors which should be able to give me better sound and a bit more wear and tear

The built in power supply provides 2x40w at 8ohms so in theory if I buy some PAs that are rated slightly higher (say 60w at 8ohms) I should be able to power them and avoid potential clipping right? (I really don't want them to be so easily overdriven again) Assuming I'm right about the above...the next problem is budget. Idealy i can only afford just above £100 for a pair of PAs (i worry that while bookshelves would provide better sound, they would potentially blow more easily) What I'm looking for is a decent mid-high range, as the sub will take care of the low frequencies, but full range drivers would do. Of course im not expecting miracles at that price, but i've seen some available and need to know if you guys reckon they will just sound terrible, mostly they'l be used for home listening and the occasional house party/gig. I was thinking about something like these, these or these

What do you guys think? Will this work, what would you advise.

Cheers, Ali

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#2 6 years ago

Yeah it shouldn't be a problem to do that, but I would try and match or exceed SPL (sensitivity) to the pair the kit came with. Otherwise you could wind up with inadequate volume compared to the stock ones. As far as the ones you linked to, never heard of those brands, so I can't comment.

Aliblista(UK)

Wayne brady bitches!

50 XP

18th March 2005

0 Uploads

499 Posts

0 Threads

#3 6 years ago

thanks for the reply, do you reckon i'm making the right choice with PA speakers, I understand I'll get less quality for my cash, but my prime concern is making sure I dont end up overdriving my speakers again, which from what i've read, isnt just as simple as buying speakers which a rated over the output of the amp

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#4 6 years ago

Is there no such thing as 60W/8Ω bookshelves for £100? Because they would sound better and work just as well as PAs. And just for the record, you're going to be hard-pressed to find loudspeakers of any sort that would be in danger from that amp. You're far more likely to end up with speakers that will kill your amp, instead.

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#5 6 years ago

I agree with not going with PA type. Going with loudspeakers for the fear of blowing them out is unrealistic and will only compromise sound quality. Here in the states Polk, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, Yamaha and Energy are some common affordable small speakers. Don't know what brands you have there in affordable price ranges.

After a quick search though, these might be worth looking into: http://www.amazon.co.uk/WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-10-0-SPEAKERS-BLACK/dp/B0032B77U0/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1324248556&sr=1-6

Aliblista(UK)

Wayne brady bitches!

50 XP

18th March 2005

0 Uploads

499 Posts

0 Threads

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice, okay well it seems i could definitely get a bit more bang for my buck if i went with bookshelf speakers, hopefully they should be just as durable. Afaik the man way to see whether a speaker is likely to blow is via the SPL/sensitivity rating, i.e if its louder at lower wattage, then there's less need to turn the volume up and thus cause the kind of distortion (or non sine waves) that could potentially damage a speaker. Am I right in saying this, ive tried to do my research but its hard to be sure...

With this in mind I'm now looking at these speakers MX1 technical specifications | whathifi.com S30 technical specifications | whathifi.com Diamond 9.1 technical specifications | whathifi.com

seems to me as though the Cambridge Audio ones are the best option in terms of bang for buck, plus they have good user reviews and a nice high sensitivity rating and a max wattage of 100w (2x50w?) which should fit nicely with plenty of headroom for my 2x40w amp. What do you guys reckon?

>Omen<

Modern Warfare

50 XP

1st January 2005

0 Uploads

7,395 Posts

0 Threads

#7 6 years ago
Aliblista(UK);5594730...if its louder at lower wattage, then there's less need to turn the volume up and thus cause the kind of distortion (or non sine waves) that could potentially damage a speaker. Am I right in saying this...

Not really, in fact it can be quite the opposite. A speaker that takes more wattage/volume to run is usually made with a beefier voice coil, magnet, spider and cone and is made for high wattage systems. It can go either way, but your analogy is not a logical rule of thumb per se.