The Resident Anime Addict

50 XP

10th December 2006

0 Uploads

1,853 Posts

0 Threads

#1 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

My friend is upgrading her macbook and turned to me for some tech help. Mac's are a mystery to me, windows machines are my forte!

So, she just wanted to get the best macbook air priced at £999

Buy MacBook Air Notebook Computers - Apple Store (UK)

Spoiler: Show

13-inch : 256GB

Specifications

• 1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
  • Intel HD Graphics 5000
  • 4GB memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based flash storage

But i took a look at the pro's to see if it was worth her throwing a bit of extra cash for a better machine and i was amazed at the new pro offered at the same price: Macbook Pro (UK)

Spoiler: Show

13-inch: 2.6GHz with Retina display

Specifications

• 2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
  • 8GB 1600MHz memory
  • 128GB PCIe-based flash storage1
  • Intel Iris Graphics
  • Built-in battery (9 hours)2

The only tradeoff i can see is half the hard drive and 3 hours less battery in exchange for a better screen, graphics, processor and ram (aka a more future-proofed machine). Do you guys come to the same conclusion? Or have i missed something obvious inherent to mac's? I already explained the 2 differences i spotted and she said she could use an external hard drive for photos and videos and battery isn't an issue for her. Her current macbook has a hard drive space of 128gb and she's only just filling it up (3 years+ ownership). i'll also say she is a self confessed "apple whore" so it is going to be a mac regardless. Cheers guys George

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

216,814 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

19,996 Posts

6 Threads

#2 4 years ago

I'd say in most cases the Pro Retina is the better option.

The main advantage of the air is mobility. It is slightly lighter, thinner and the battery lasts longer. The pro is a much better PC though, as you noted. The Pro Retinas were recently upgraded with slightly better hardware.

128gb of SDD space isn't a whole lot, but external drives or cloud storage can help with that. But that really depeonds on how you use it.

This page has a nice comparison of various MacBooks: https://www.apple.com/uk/mac/compare/notebooks.html

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,474 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,739 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 4 years ago

Mmm, lovely. I might get a Mac Book or iMac if I get into grad school :)

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

266,991 XP

15th December 2002

36 Uploads

22,448 Posts

1,693 Threads

#4 4 years ago

I might get a Mac too if I feel like pissing my hard earned cash into the wind on last-gen hardware.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

GateCrusher420 VIP Member

What is this place?

71,255 XP

17th February 2007

0 Uploads

6,233 Posts

1 Threads

#5 4 years ago

I have a first gen MacBook Pro and absolutely love it. Between the Air and the Pro, I'd go with the Pro. It's a better deal.

D3matt

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

20th November 2007

0 Uploads

2,552 Posts

0 Threads

#6 4 years ago

As much as I hate Apple, Macbook Pro is a very nice computer. The real question is, what does she use it for that makes the extra $400 or so worth it? I imagine a Macbook Air is plenty speedy on its own for the stuff most people use it for.

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 4 years ago

s upgrading her macbook and turned to me for some tech help. Mac's are a mystery to me, windows machines are my forte!runescape 2007 gold old school runescape