Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

I don't know if any of you all do a lot of game video capture, but I was wondering what sort of software the plebs use these days. Lower cost/free is better. Right now I'm trying to use VirtualDub with mjpeg codecs, as that seemed to be a common free way of  getting high-quality video capture for few system resources several years ago. But that was several years ago.

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#2 1 year ago

Are you trying to capture from an external source, or capturing from the PC itself?

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#3 1 year ago
"FileTrekker"Are you trying to capture from an external source, or capturing from the PC itself?

From the PC - capturing a game or the desktop. I found out Nvidia has a pretty decent video capture system and does everything I could hope for with negligible impact on performance. Allows capture of video in-game, screenshots, and control of quality and output resolution. Not the best compression, but the quality is up there, so a 3rd party video editor should be able to do the trick. But that leads to the next question - what's a video editor that can  do the basics with audio and video mixing/splicing and has good built-in compression schemes? I hear Blender is used  a lot and is on par with the big players.  I've used Sony Vegas' trial version before and it seemed decent but it's about $50 for the most basic version. Adobe's products are also pretty good but are even more expensive and I think they've moved to a yearly subscription-based model. 

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,889 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,878 Posts

218 Threads

#4 1 year ago

What exactly is the end goal? Streaming or video uploads on like YouTube?

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago
"Mikey"What exactly is the end goal? Streaming or video uploads on like YouTube?

YouTube uploads most likely. No streaming planned.

Mikey Über Admin

Caffiene Fuelled Ravings of an undiagnosed Sociopath.

45,889 XP

13th June 2008

1 Uploads

3,878 Posts

218 Threads

#6 1 year ago

I would say that Shadow Play (or GeForce Experience, whatever it is) should be fine as it will record your mic for you too. I have found that when I am on Discord and recording I also record other peoples voices (which could be useful for a collab I guess)

As for editing software, I have only ever edited on a Mac so I used Final Cut Pro X which cost quite a bit at the time, but it was rolled into the purchase cost. I would imagine you're probably looking for something like Adobe After Effects or Sony Vegas. If you dont wanna pay, you could always use Windows Movie Maker!

Mikey - GameFront.com - Lead Developer

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#7 1 year ago

I use Shadowplay, but I tend to record my Microphone audio separately in Audacity then mix them later, as Shadowplay records microphone sounds too quietly and it's hard to hear properly.

But other than that it's effeminately the best, and cheapest, option.

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#8 1 year ago

Thanks. We'll see if I ever manage to get anything made/uploaded. The realization I've come to is that it will take roughly 6 hours to upload a 2 GB vid. Why? Because legal monopolies...

"FileTrekker" But other than that it's effeminately the best, and cheapest, option.

I'm not sure why I'd want to choose the feminine option over the masculine option, but ok?

FileTrekker Über Admin

269,297 XP

15th December 2002

85 Uploads

22,518 Posts

1,747 Threads

#9 1 year ago

My iPhone's bloody autocorrect strikes again...

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#10 1 year ago
"Superfluous Curmudgeon "I'm not sure why I'd want to choose the feminine option over the masculine option, but ok?

I actually thought it was just some kind of fancy British usage of the word.