Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#1 1 year ago

So I have a 5 Mbps down ISP connection now (yes, 5 megabits per second) so basically, bandwidth is a precious  commodity, but it seems that some background applications don't really care. The result is that if I'm watching a video or stream and one of these background apps takes over, the video stream suddenly has a fit of sporadic buffering. I confirmed that this was happening today by using Windows Task Manager to monitor ethernet usage. When just the video is streaming, there is a constant, consistent pattern of downloaded data. But when whatever background process kicks in to download, the download graph peaks to the max it can pull and the video stream immediately has trouble keeping up.

So my  question is, is there  any way to tell what applications are stealing this bandwidth? Is there some sort of application bandwidth monitor you guys are familiar with? It seems that these are the things you have to deal with when your ISP is 15 years behind on its tech.

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 1 year ago

The default Windows resource manager shows you a list of applications that can be sorted by network useage. Usually you can find some windows services that will be displayed as part of svchost.exe that use some bandwidth even though they are useless.

There is a free program called autoruns that is helpful with finding useless applications that are automatically started with your PC. Removing those should also free up some bandwidth as many of them will check for updates perdiodically.

But really - best solution may be to switch ISP or pay a little more? Videos on youtube and the like can differ in bandwidth requirement even if you they have the same resolution, so on a slow day if you want to watch that video with the slightly higher audio bitrate you'll be screwed regardless of how much networking tuning you do.

Andron Taps Forum Mod

Faktrl is Best Pony

261,592 XP

10th September 2007

4 Uploads

21,746 Posts

1,754 Threads

#3 1 year ago
"MrFancypants"There is a free program called autoruns that is helpful with finding useless applications that are automatically started with your PC. Removing those should also free up some bandwidth as many of them will check for updates perdiodically.

A good example of that is anti-virus software.  And it's not just download bandwidth; it also hinders startup speed.  There's also steam to consider, so you might want to check to see if auto-update is enabled because some of the more recent games can have several gigabytes worth of new data to download.  

"I'd shush her zephyr." ~ Zephyr.

RadioactiveLobster Forum Admin

Jeff is a mean boss

565,401 XP

28th July 2002

0 Uploads

53,121 Posts

1,330 Threads

#4 1 year ago

I use Glasswire. Check it out.

If there is no image, Mikey broke something...

Superfluous Curmudgeon VIP Member

AOE2 Addict

11,741 XP

22nd December 2007

0 Uploads

794 Posts

9 Threads

#5 1 year ago

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll take a look at them. Unfortunately, the only alternatives to my current ISP (which we have the highest speed plan for) are my phone's data plan (which has a very low data cap) and satellite Internet (generally has horrible latency upwards of 600 ms). So trying to optimize the bandwidth I do have seems  like the best compromise. I'll eventually move somewhere with better options but for now I gotta live here. 

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,011 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#6 1 year ago

Here in Germany a company recently introduced hybrid DSL, basically a slow DSL line that uses a mobile phone LTE band to extend bandwidth. Looks like a pretty good solution for areas where companies don't want to invest in high-bandwidth landlines, but not sure how popular the concept is outside of Germany.