Mastershroom Advanced Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#1 11 years ago

Hey guys. I just received my Eee PC 1201N today, and I thought I'd take some photos along the process of opening it and setting it up to share with you guys. This isn't much of a review, more of a photo gallery than anything else. I'll get to a proper review when I spend some more time with this. Note: all photos are thumbnailed. Click on them to view them in full size.

First up, I'll start where I started: the packaging. =p The box doesn't really identify it as a model 1201N anywhere, curiously, just an Eee PC:

img1707qu.th.jpg

Here's the box opened up. You can see the netbook itself in the protective padding, and a bit of the power cord:

img1708d.th.jpg

With the netbook removed, you can see the rest of the contents. Nothing out of the ordinary; just the power cord and adapter, battery, manual and driver disk:

img1709c.th.jpg

Finally, the 1201N itself. I got the silver color, as you can see; my last notebook was glossy black, and it was a mistake I promised myself I would never make again. :p There is some slight frost where I gripped the netbook; it was quite cold, as I had just brought it off the front porch from delivery, so moisture condensed on contact. Also, note that they've finally switched from that silly Eee logo to a cool-looking Asus logo.

img1710n.th.jpg

Here's the left side of the 1201N. You can see (in order) the VGA port, power input jack, a fan exhaust vent, USB, and HDMI port.

img1712v.th.jpg

This is the right side. Also in order, you can see the SD card reader (with plastic placeholder inserted), a USB port, 3.5mm audio out and microphone jacks, another USB port, Ethernet, and a Kensington lock slot.

img1713s.th.jpg

A shot of the 1201N opened up, and before I waged war on the sticker adhesives. =p On the left side there's the generic Intel Atom and Windows 7 stickers, along with the slightly more eye-catching nVidia ION sticker. The right side stickers are Asus-specific, briefly describing some of the 1201N's features. On the top left side, above the keyboard, there is a button to disable the integrated touchpad. Opposite that, on the right, is the power button. It's also a good view of the chiclet-style keyboard, which is surprisingly comfortable with my gorilla-hands.

img1714cp.th.jpg

Same shot, without flash. You can see the touchpad more clearly. Note that it's the same elevation as the rest of the palmrest, just with tiny plastic texturing bubbles on the area that it covers.

img1715x.th.jpg

Powered on, and loaded to the Windows 7 Home Premium desktop. This should give you a rough idea of how big icons and stuff are by default.

img1725yg.th.jpg

Like I said, this isn't really a review so much as a random assortment of photos. If there's any other angles you want me to get, or anything else, feel free to let me know and I'll have them up by tomorrow. :)

So far, I'm liking the 1201N. I haven't done much of anything very stressful, but it's been pretty quick and responsive, certainly helped along by the dual core Atom 330.

A more complete list of my specs:

• Intel Atom 330 (1.6GHz x2/533MHz FSB/1MB L2)
  • 4GB DDR2-800MHz memory (shipped with 2GB of the same, I installed the 4GB myself)
  • nVidia ION graphics (9400M-based) w/ VGA and HDMI out
  • 12.1" WLED 720p (1366x768) LCD
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (I intend to go to 64 bit once I get an external DVD drive)
  • Synaptics multitouch trackpad
  • Chiclet keyboard

random_soldier1337

I live on Gaming Forums

920 XP

17th June 2008

0 Uploads

2,063 Posts

13 Threads

#2 11 years ago

Why'd you buy a netbook?

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#3 11 years ago

Because my laptop died in November, and I'm moving back into my dorm soon, and I'd rather not have to haul my desktop around. Besides, I didn't really have the budget for a full-size laptop.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#4 11 years ago

Looks pretty nice. I was looking at a few on display on the computer shop in town once and they just seem so tiny though....

Chocu1a

Feel my heat, Heavens on fire.

45,365 XP

2nd August 2005

0 Uploads

4,209 Posts

0 Threads

#5 11 years ago

I want to know how well it games...can you run tf2 on it for me? I saw a demo of Batman AA running on one & it got around 20-30 fps on low.

It looks fantastic btw...really nice & slick looking. The Asus badge looks so much better than the goofy cursive Eee logo.

Von II

aka noobst3R

50 XP

16th June 2008

0 Uploads

4,339 Posts

0 Threads

#6 11 years ago

Source engine shouldn't be a problem, not max =p, but it should have some decent framerates, as a 7000m is capable of that already. (Own experience)

Nice review and pics as always.

Also, how much did you pay for it?

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#7 11 years ago

I'm downloading TF2 right now via Steam, I'll run it later on.

I paid $484 on Amazon, brand new.

Von II

aka noobst3R

50 XP

16th June 2008

0 Uploads

4,339 Posts

0 Threads

#8 11 years ago

Mh, you can just copy paste your steam directory, works fine for me.

Oh, that's a decent price i suppose. :)

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#9 11 years ago

Count_Chocu1a;5206686I want to know how well it games...can you run tf2 on it for me? I saw a demo of Batman AA running on one & it got around 20-30 fps on low.

It looks fantastic btw...really nice & slick looking. The Asus badge looks so much better than the goofy cursive Eee logo.

I got TF2 up and running and joined my clan's 2fort server. At 1280x720 (the lowest resolution available while preserving the 16:9 aspect ratio) with all settings on minimum and multicore rendering enabled, I got a pretty steady 30 frames per second, dipping into the 20s occasionally in big outdoor firefights. Forgetting the aspect ratio, I lowered the resolution to 800x600 and it got up to 40 in places.

Not ideal, but not too bad. And for a game with the pacing of TF2, 30 frames per second is pretty playable unless you're a Scout or Sniper, in which case those twitch-reflexes become more important. Certainly adequate for just about anything else though. I did reasonably well with Heavy and Pyro.

TF2 (and most Source-based games) are more dependent on the CPU than the GPU, and the 1201N's nVidia ION 9400M-based graphics card is somewhat limited by the Atom 330, even though it is dual core (with 4 virtual cores via Hyperthreading, I found out to my surprise). I have a feeling overclocking from the stock 1.6GHz to 2.0 or so might help out.

As for more GPU-dependent games, I gave Halo: Combat Evolved a test run, and it ran surprisingly smoothly at native resolution 1366x768 and maxed settings. Granted, it's a game from 2003, but most netbooks today with GMA 950 graphics struggle to run it at 1024x600. I didn't get any actual numbers, but it's easily over 60fps, consistent.

I'm currently installing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 to get some more gaming performance numbers. So far, though, it's not looking bad at all if you want some mild gaming capability you can fit in a cargo pocket of your coat or pants.

*Daedalus

A Phoenix from the ashes

50 XP

18th April 2006

0 Uploads

3,091 Posts

0 Threads

#10 11 years ago

Let me know how UT04 runs. I'm thinking of - maybe - getting a netbook in the future for my girlfriend, and not having played TF2 or Halo before, UT would be a nice way to compare.