carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

Well, I put my 6800GT into my new Shuttle sff barebone, and to my surprise there are only two molex connectors in the whole system. One of these must go to my DVD drive, which leaves one to power the 6800GT. However, the power adapter for the 6800GT is a Y-cable, with two plugs for molex connectors (only three prongs on each) leading into the single plug (five prongs) that goes into the 6800GT. So do I have to plug two power cables into the adapter?? If I use only one, will the card work properly? I've attatched a few pics of the cable, but all of the close ups I took turned out blurry. Hope they help.

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Well, I took deep breath, hoped for the best, and ran a 6800GT (at past Ultra speeds), a DVD-RW drive, and a cooling fan off of the same molex connector, and so far everything works fine. So I guess you can ignore this topic and if your a moderator, feel free to delete it. If anyone has any more insight, or thinks what I've done is terribly wrong and is surprised I haven't burned out my power supply or broken my GT, please let me know.

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

I don't know if this will help or not, but my X800 had almost the same kind of Y-adaptor, but they were all 4-pin plugs. it worked fine with just using one plug, i just put a spare cover over the extra one and it all worked fine. but i eliminated it since one of my PSU connectors reached it good.

carl4286

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2004

0 Uploads

1,605 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago

Sounds good. I just ran 3Dmark for about 8 minutes and didnt get any power deprevation errors (I recieved one once when I accidentally unplugged the PCIe power cable from the mobo during a 3Dmark test, so I know they exist). Thanks for the encouragement.

amoreelitesoldier

Back from the dead!

50 XP

8th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,047 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

As far as I know the "extra" Molex connector is there so if you only have two Molex connectors, you don't use a full connector just for the video card. It lets you run other peripherals, maybe lights, off the same Molex line. pleased.gif At least that's what I did, nothing's melted yet, although my card may be bad (see other thread).