Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#1 2 years ago

So I really need a new phone. My Iphone S4 died on me in february during my trip to TH, the phone's battery was pretty much dead and upon replacing the battery it worked fine for a day and after that it kept on rebooting over and over, only once or twice reaching being able to start up completely before rebooting again. It must be the battery instantly draining even if hooked up to a charger. I have been using an Iphone 4 since.  Now before the end of the year I would like to buy a new phone, having postponed it a fair bit already.  And I may see if there is someway of salvaging the contents of the S4 by moving parts to the 4? I made a backup before I left but photo's and such that I made during my  time in TH have been lost wish is not the end of the world but a shame nonetheless.

Now I was aiming at a budget of 400-500 euro's and I will not spent more than about 700 euro's. If it costs more than a return ticket to Asia I rather spent my money on something else... I got the 4S cheaply, my dearest got the phone at 40% of the price it sold for in stores back in 2010. At the time I was not an Apple fan but at such a bargain it was a very nice gift (which I rejected at first, pissing her off but the day after I changed my mind and accepted it). Though Apple and it's products aren't exactly cheap and I never have been a fan of being forced to use Apple assecoires. I  want to be able to plugin my own earplugs, charger etc. even if those are cheap ones found in a discount store. So... a new Apple phone is rather unlikely. 

The size of the 4S was fine though, always good to have something that can easily with in your front pocket. A bit bigger would be fine but a phone the size of a Galaxy note doesn't exactly fit comfortably. 

Batteries... well I prefer freedom which would include changing my battery without too much hassle. But if the batteries last a few years with an acceptable battery life, I guess it's not a massive issue if the battery cannot be easily swapped. 

So... which smartphone to buy? I'd expect the phone to last me for 5+ years.  Phone's on the shortlist are:

Samsung Galaxy S7 LG G5 Huawei Nova Huawei P9 ....???.....

Now obviously the S7 is one class up fro the Huawei phones...  I haven't made up my mind yet if I would be better off with more cheap phone or go for the high end phone and just use it longer and perhaps enjoy it's extra's such as an excellent camera. Priorities are ofcourse comfortable to use (surf the web, check mail including attachments, make phone and perhaps video calls, battery lasting for a fair amount of time,  and being strong enough to last a few years if used in a normal day to day way.  I hope to be able to make a choice before the weeks end. Any feedback would be much welcome. :)

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,014 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#2 2 years ago

I've been told that the OnePlus 3T is supposed to be quite good. It looks nice, fits your budgets and has pretty good specs.

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#3 2 years ago

Never heard of it. *googles*

Looks pretty damn durable. That's good,, it should last a few years without worry then. I'll look into it, since ofcourse the phone also needs to be practical to operate (day to day use, snapping some pics, tranfering data -backups- , no need to worry about the battery dying rather swiftly, not much worry when out of the house without charger and needing to find a way to charge your phone).   Thanks for the tip. :)

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,014 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#4 2 years ago

I saw one of them today, looks sturdy enough (same as Apple and Samsung at least). It is quite large though, more like a Galaxy Note than an I-Phone, but that's for the 3t version.

Serio VIP Member

The Dane

149,931 XP

11th November 2006

3 Uploads

12,511 Posts

38 Threads

#5 2 years ago

Well, the Galaxy S6 is the one I have, and it's pretty damn good. Very solid phone, good speed and capability. I imagine the S7 is a step up from it, hardware-wise, though potentially still close enough. That said - and I'm not sure if this applies to the S7 as well - the S6 cannot have its battery swapped. It has a fairly good charge, at least.

Mikouen VIP Member

What?

145,652 XP

4th September 2005

4 Uploads

11,732 Posts

2 Threads

#6 2 years ago

The questions to ask are - what kind of usage are you planning on? Do you absolutely need the couple of extra MHz a flagship's CPU will have? Are the 'trinket-y' features like wireless charging really that important to you?

Right now a Samsung Galaxy S7 will set you back by about £500.

A DOOGEE F7 will set you back by £180.

Deca-core CPU (~1.5GHz), Android 6.0, 3GB RAM, 32GB storage, 5.5" 1080x1920 display with five-point touch, 3400 mAh fixed battery, all the fingerprint-y stuff and sensors. The second SIM tray slot can mount a microSDXC card instead, offically rated 64GB but it'll take a 256. 5MP front camera, 13MP rear camera.

OUKITEL K6000 Pro, pretty much everything said there applies here too. This one's an octa-core and has an 8MP selfie camera. Battery is rated at a fucking massive 6000 mAh. You can nab one for £125-£150.

Elephone P9000, rather iPhone-y design, newer octa-core chipset than the above but extra RAM. Light in the hand, deceptively good build quality, and Elephone don't coat the entire Android UI in their custom shit. Goes for about £180, but for £30 less you can get the P9000 Lite - has a textured plastic back rather than an alloy plate, has cheaper cameras, loses some of the sensors and doesn't have Touch ID.

Vernee Apollo Lite, another deca-core. Uses the Helio X20 CPU like the F7, has an extra gig of RAM, slightly buffed main camera. Goes for about £200, but I don't know anything of the brand.

I don't have a Wileyfox but they're made in England, so I guess Serio would take it to bed, have sex with it and fall asleep with it in his arms.

If you don't mind dropping your phone's spec a bit, you can even get models with removable batteries - like the Cubot Dinosaur.

Source? I've got the DOOGEE F5, which I bought after returning the Elephone P9000 Lite (it didn't have a gyroscope). Nabbed it for £100, almost everything said about the F7 applies except for the F5 being Android 5.1, octa-core, and having a weaker battery (2750mAh). Same rear camera as the F7, and in use, I can't see any noticeable difference between it and my Pentax X-5 DSLR.

....and yes, it does run Pidgeymans GAH.

That said, if I were willing to fork out flagship prices, the OnePlus 3T is what I'd set my eye on too. Not happy that it doesn't take an SD card, but eh. Can't have it all.

I don't know how, and I don't know why, but this is totally Sheep's fault.

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#7 2 years ago

Wireless charging is not something I care about.  The phone needs to be durable, comfortable to hold in one hand and operate with 1 or 2 hands, battery needs to last a fair bit (what use is a phone of you need to  drag a charger or powerbank along if you are way from home for 12-24 hours?), decent camera so there is less need to take a seperate camera with you on outdoor trips in the country side, city, museums, going out for dinner etc. Decent storage capacity so that you don't need to worry about having to move files/photos/videos/music every few weeks due to full storage.  

Easy to surf the net, check mail, read PDF, text and Excel files. Phone shouldn't need replacing for 4-5 years. Good for video/voip calls (who calls the old fashioned way anymore?). Double sim is nice if you are abroad, allowing you to use a temporary foreign number/sim with a local internet 3g or 4g internet package. It would only be a nice bonus though as I am only out of the country a limited number of days or weeks per year.  Easy to exchange data with a computer or other phones (one of the things I much dislike about Iphones... damn it let me tranfer my text, graphic, sound, video etc. files from my laptop to the phone and back again with ease!). 

I'll check some of those names out this weekend. Thanks. :)

FileTrekker Über Admin

I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.

269,319 XP

15th December 2002

87 Uploads

22,519 Posts

1,747 Threads

#8 2 years ago

Apart from the double sim requirement, which I don't have need for, I honestly think the iPhone 6S plus actually ticks all those boxes for me. It's also quite easy to share files between my PC and phone, I don't see why it's any harder than any other phone?

I know most people here don't like iPhones, though.

Danny King | Community Manager | GameFront.com

MrFancypants Forum Admin

The Bad

217,014 XP

7th December 2003

0 Uploads

20,003 Posts

6 Threads

#9 2 years ago

Iphones supposedly have higher resell value (not sure if that still applies), so if you change your device often and buy high end it is a pretty good choice.

Mr. Matt VIP Member

#BanRadioActiveLobster

356,406 XP

17th June 2002

7 Uploads

33,654 Posts

779 Threads

#10 1 year ago

"Admiral Donutz"Wireless charging is not something I care about.  The phone needs to be durable, comfortable to hold in one hand and operate with 1 or 2 hands, battery needs to last a fair bit (what use is a phone of you need to  drag a charger or powerbank along if you are way from home for 12-24 hours?), decent camera so there is less need to take a seperate camera with you on outdoor trips in the country side, city, museums, going out for dinner etc. Decent storage capacity so that you don't need to worry about having to move files/photos/videos/music every few weeks due to full storage.  

Easy to surf the net, check mail, read PDF, text and Excel files. Phone shouldn't need replacing for 4-5 years. Good for video/voip calls (who calls the old fashioned way anymore?). Double sim is nice if you are abroad, allowing you to use a temporary foreign number/sim with a local internet 3g or 4g internet package. It would only be a nice bonus though as I am only out of the country a limited number of days or weeks per year.  Easy to exchange data with a computer or other phones (one of the things I much dislike about Iphones... damn it let me tranfer my text, graphic, sound, video etc. files from my laptop to the phone and back again with ease!). 

I'll check some of those names out this weekend. Thanks. :)

Samsung Galaxy S7.

It's no bigger physically than an iPhone 6S Plus, but because it doesn't have that stupid round button at the bottom it has a slightly bigger screen. A gorgeous, OLED screen, incidentally, with excellent color reproduction and high resolution. The camera is the best on the market, depending on who you ask, and comes with (mine anyway came with) a suite of Microsoft Office mobile apps - including Excel. And unlike iPhones, you can open PDFs without having to go into that stupid bookcase app thing (iBooks?). It's also waterproof, and very comfortable to hold.

Comes with 32 GB storage as standard, but has a micro SD card slot so you can expand it as much as you want. And swapping files between the phone and the computer is as easy as dragging and dropping, as it is on all Android phones.

Alternatively, the Lumia 950. Fairly small, and doubles as a Windows computer thanks to Continuum.