HL2Fan

Owns at Halo2 and HL2

50 XP

15th December 2004

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#1 10 years ago

My friend's computer isn't working with his graphics card, every time he starts it up the image comes up very pixilated and distorted.

Although when he switches to the on-board graphics card and removes the 8600 GTS, the computer works fine.

Was hoping some one could help me out with this one, there were two inputs on it, but both of them had the same effect, and its impossible to read anything past the Dell logo that comes up on start up.

kow_ciller

Gettin' hardware chilly

50 XP

16th June 2004

0 Uploads

5,787 Posts

0 Threads

#2 10 years ago

Sounds like the card is a gonner.

Mastershroom Advanced Member

Frag Out!

153,685 XP

18th November 2004

0 Uploads

14,196 Posts

0 Threads

#3 10 years ago

Definitely sounds like some sort of graphics card failure. Ah well...now your friend has an excuse to go out and get a new GPU, the 8600 series were never very top-notch anyway. =p

Mr. Pedantic

I would die without GF

234,620 XP

8th October 2006

0 Uploads

23,127 Posts

0 Threads

#4 10 years ago

Sounds like the 8600's a goner. Tell him to put it in the oven at 200C and bake it for about 10 minutes or so. It doesn't seem like you have anything to lose. No guarantees that it'll work, and even if it does, no guarantees that it will stay working for more than a couple of weeks, but it's something you could look at, if only because the idea sounds awesome.

Otherwise, yeah, your friend needs a new GPU.

HL2Fan

Owns at Halo2 and HL2

50 XP

15th December 2004

0 Uploads

122 Posts

0 Threads

#5 10 years ago

alright, well I appreciate it anyways guys hah I didn't know if there was some way to salvage it. Might just take it out and put it on my skeet launcher and finish it with the shotgun haha :) but at least I know for sure its dead now.

Also I think I just might try the oven idea haha I looked it up and it sounded pretty fun, I've had an ATI 9000 64MB AGP that worked better than his piece of junk, which he's only had for maybe a year hah do i need to have the thermal glue for the GPU though just for trying this?

*The.Doctor

Trust me, I'm a Doctor

102,440 XP

25th November 2003

0 Uploads

9,964 Posts

0 Threads

#6 10 years ago

What would your friends budget be for a new card? We could make some good suggestions for him. You say he has a Dell? Ask him if by any chance it might still be covered by some extended warranty or something.

But yeah, that 8600 is toast. I had to get my 4870 replaced not long ago, but when it died, it went all out. My rig wouldn't even POST with it in.