Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#1 12 years ago

My god but Nvidia has done it again.

The card is phyiscally huge, about an inch longer than the GX2 and Nvidia does not reccommend any PSU less than 450. And you could run 3 in one PC! The madness. I just saw the new Crysis video on gamespot.com and they were running in MP mode with "all details maxed" running on a 8800. I assume its the GTX, :).

FPS Demolishing benchmarks Tech2.com Quick and Dirty on 8800

So now my question: I'm still planning on a HUGE upgrade. I have my HDs picked out and CPU and now this GFX card [8800 GTX], but what mobo would be compatible?

I'd need an Intel-based one to run the X6800 CPU, and I don't care especially about DDR2, so what are my options? Thanks.

vikke-viking

Cheese cake

50 XP

26th September 2004

0 Uploads

1,270 Posts

0 Threads

#2 12 years ago

wow thats going to cost. anway maybe a mobo based on the new Nvidia nForce 680i SLI. maybe the Asus Striker Extreme? http://prisguide.hardware.no/product.php?productId=56437

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#3 12 years ago

Up until recently, an Intel 975X-based board would have been your only real choice. Problem with those is that they support Crossfire, not SLI, so for people with (or planning on) nVidia hardware it's not ideal. So really you want an nForce board that supports SLI. The latest nForce model is the 680. They are expensive, but with the hardware you've chosen you've got no right to moan about that. :p They also support the higher FSB required by the imminent quad core processors, if that's any use to you in the future.

So I'd say look for something like an ASUS Striker Extreme - http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=397&model=1439&modelmenu=1

SkyliИe

Say goodnight to the bad guy

50 XP

6th November 2006

0 Uploads

148 Posts

0 Threads

#4 12 years ago
N88TR

Old school pimp

50 XP

10th February 2004

0 Uploads

9,921 Posts

0 Threads

#5 12 years ago

This is so awesome!

The card runs max details on Crysis, and this benchmark shows it running 92% better on HL2's Lost Coast with max settings as compared to ATI's X1950! This blows my mind! Anyone?

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#6 12 years ago
Captain Amerika;3357532My god but Nvidia has done it again. The card is phyiscally huge, about an inch longer than the GX2 and Nvidia does not reccommend any PSU less than 450. And you could run 3 in one PC! The madness. I just saw the new Crysis video on gamespot.com and they were running in MP mode with "all details maxed" running on a 8800. I assume its the GTX, :). FPS Demolishing benchmarks Tech2.com Quick and Dirty on 8800 So now my question: I'm still planning on a HUGE upgrade. I have my HDs picked out and CPU and now this GFX card [8800 GTX], but what mobo would be compatible? I'd need an Intel-based one to run the X6800 CPU, and I don't care especially about DDR2, so what are my options? Thanks.

You don't need a big CPU to run the video card! I read up somewere that they put a pysics proeccor so that lower end cpu's can run it without having a marjor bottleneck. But I guess having that a quad core CPU with this new Geforce will not hurt.

Bs|Archaon

I would die without GF

50 XP

15th March 2006

0 Uploads

5,910 Posts

0 Threads

#7 12 years ago
Videoslave;3357780But I guess having that a quad core CPU with this new Geforce will not hurt.

It wouldn't hurt in any scenario, except one on a budget and I'm assuming his is rather large. Except that an X6800 isn't quad core... :p

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#8 12 years ago

I myself want to get one but I'm more likley to get the GTS the shortter one. I do imagian I will get a nasty bottleneck with my P4, but oh well I'll still be able to play Oblvion at 1600x1200 with everthing enabled right?

KN-Darkstar

Techno Viking

50 XP

10th November 2006

0 Uploads

60 Posts

0 Threads

#9 12 years ago

If I were to get the 8800, I would definitely get the GTX, I mean, when something's that good.....price? not on my list of worries...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#10 12 years ago

Have a look at this video I found! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM-q5L3yIc8